weekend trip

Writing that list made me realise how much I miss living northside…

I’ve been repeatedly going to Shujinko Ramen bar for deficits Ramen. They do other delicious Japanese bar food too, and beer and sake and shoju. What gets me back there is that it’s 24hrs so I can go after a night shift or a late shift. That and it’s delicious. Good for lunch or an easy cheap dinner.

That’s not what she told me…

Awesome list manatara. my experiences/recommendations for data pooling:

Best feed I have had is Donovan’s in St Kilda I think,
Fave Japanese is shimbashi in the city and chin chin for modern fusion.

If you like sushi/omakase and you’ve got some $$$ then I can’t recommend Minamishima in Richmond highly enough. It will be some of the best you can have in Australia and watching the chefs at work is incredible. Also the wines and sakes are off the hook and the sommelier is amazingly knowledgeable. It is pricey but in my mind is worth every cent.

If you like fine dining I don’t think you can go past Attica in Ripponlea. Ben Shewry is a genius and is doing things with native ingredients that no one else has even imagined, let alone executed to that standard. It’s a very intimate setting with all of the focus on the quality of the food and booze. It’s pretty $$$ like probs $600-700 for two with matched wines, but my god, the food is the best I’ve had in Australia.

Speaking of Ben Shewry - his long-time sous chef Peter Gunn has just opened his own place on Smith Street - Ides. I haven’t been but I will be taking my wife for her birthday, he is an amazing chef, one of the best young chefs in the world according to some comp in Milan, and is also a very impressive guy. The food is sure to be excellent and at this stage the menu seems reasonably priced given is pedigree.

I think Bar Lourinha in the city is very romantic and underrated. The food and wine are top notch and the place is super cosy. The chef is the brother of Andrew McConnell (Cutler, Cumulus, Luxembourg, Cumulus Up, The Builders Arms etc). Any of the aforementioned Andrew McConnell restaurants are also good, Supernormal (Japanese) or Cumulus (mod euro/aus?) are my faves though. I like Cutler but I went a couple of times many years ago and felt that the food was rad, but way overpriced.

As mentioned Hell of the North is really good and in my mind very good value.

Saint Crispin is kick arse as well, defs one to consider for a fancy degustation meal. Plus the upstairs cocktail bar is great for an aperitif/digestif.

If you want something more relaxed/Americana style then I’d say check out Le Bon Ton, Fancy Hanks, Meat Mother/Meat Maiden, Longhorn Saloon, Ikes at the Beaufort or rad crabs at Katies Crab Shack at the Rochester.

There’s so many more but they are some of my faves. Good luck.

Slso if you really like Ramen then I would suggest seeing of Supernormal have it on their lunch menu as it can be hard to come by. Also Hakata Gensuke is by far and away the best ramen I’ve had in Melbs and their chicken karaage is off the charts. Their tonkotsu is amazing. Yes you have to line up for about 15 mins but they give you a menu and an order form while you wait and it is way way better than anywhere else I’ve been.

Don’t do it! Can’t stand that shit.

This thread makes me miss Melbourne though.

^ I imagine you wouldn’t have to queue for too long at Mick’s fish & chip shop.