weekend trip

So its my 10 year wedding anniversary coming up in October, and id like to plan a trip to Melbs.

Neither of us have been to Melbourne, and its basically far enough from Perth but not too far. Missus dosnt like being away from the kids, so it will be pretty short, thinking leaving Perth Thursday night, then leave Melbourne Sunday evening.

Would love to get an idea/recommendations on places to eat and places to stay

Definitely would love to fit at least one degustation dinner in, and other cool places for breakfast and lunch, deserts etc

Places to stay, central to most things would be great, priced obviously within reason, but happy to spend if worth it.

Im envisioning strolling around chapel st etc, and just finding good eats. Not sure if i have enough time to do touristy things, but basically would like a chill weekend.

ok melburn, go.

Can’t help much on accommodation, but my brother stays at Ovolo Laneways when he visits. Best Boutique Design Hotel in Melbourne | Ovolo Laneways

There’s just so many good eating places in Melbourne you might be better off getting a Good Food Guide and see what appeals. Chin Chin, Miss Chu, Vue De Monde, Fonda, Coda, Cumulus Inc, Izakaya Den…

Bowery to Williamsburg is a good spot for lunch. Bowery To Williamsburg

N2 Extreme Gelato is worth a visit if you find yourself in Fitzroy. N2 Extreme Gelato - A Liquid Nitrogen Gelato Catering Experience

I often find the simpler/cheaper places have much more atmosphere and are usually much more enjoyable.

To get you ready…
[video]Shit Perth People Say - YouTube

Jase, lucky man, Melbourne is pretty awesome.

Re accom I’d look into airBNB, I stayed in a couple and they were always good. I prefer Melbourne’s north side, but that’s just me.

I’ll second Pinzo on Chin Chin, Vue de Monde and Miss Chu (don’t know the others, but you have me interested Pinzo). I’ll add Movida on the list. The number of good cafes in Melbourne is seriously scary, recently I enjoyed True North in Coburg, Small Victories and North Cafeteria in North Carlton, but it’s on the top of my head, there are many, many others.

A pub I love is the Napier in Fitzroy, it’s almost become a pilgrimage when I come to Melbourne.

Pinzo, cheers. yeah thats kind of what i was after, FOAers favorite eats etc, pretty sure id be able to google good food guides etc, but was looking for actual feedback from peoples fave hangs

Adz, so true.

Seb, cheers! i think stay wise we might go hotel, just to throw in a little air of luxury for the missus. But eats are noted! cheers!

Also, WCP’s house is good…

find that thread WCP started about good breakfast spots after night shift…

The queues are unbearable though.

Word.

I’ve had degustation at The Press Club.

I really enjoyed it. 9 courses with paired wines. Aside from being shitfaced by the end of it, I would do it again.

Also, Shan Dong Mama’s dumplings in china town 10/10

Recently did Hell of the North, not a full on degustation but they do a chefs choice feed me dinner.

Not been recently but Commoner used to be good for this type of casual degustation.

I would vote St. Crispin, on Smith Street Collingwood, as a restaurant of choice. Exceptional food. Far better than my experience at the Press Club/Hellenic Republic

I rated mamasita when I was down in Melbourne for my wedding last year. Maybe not 10 year anniversary potential but worth checking out for dinner one night.

Have also been to cutler and co twice (including the night of my wedding) and thoroughly enjoyed it. You basically get treated like you would at all of the other top restaurants but the atmosphere is a little less stuffy and the food is a bit more approachable than somewhere like vue de monde. I can’t really get into those sorts of places, especially when I don’t really eat seafood and putting scallops or some exotic crustacean in every dish is their go to move.

I rated mamasita when I was down in Melbourne for my wedding last year. Maybe not 10 year anniversary potential but worth checking out for dinner one night.

Have also been to cutler and co twice (including the night of my wedding) and thoroughly enjoyed it. You basically get treated like you would at all of the other top restaurants but the atmosphere is a little less stuffy and the food is a bit more approachable than somewhere like vue de monde. I can’t really get into those sorts of places, especially when I don’t really eat seafood and putting scallops or some exotic crustacean in every dish is their go to move.

Commoner is gone now unfortunately.

I’d second both St Crispin and Cutler.

Yeah, I’ve always liked Mamasita.

Jase, a lot of the more casual places don’t take bookings, so you’ll probaly have to queue up. Don’t worry too much about it, it’s just what we do. :smiley:

Dude is trying to escape kids, remember

You might have to give us some tips on what cuisines you and your wife like, Jase, or this thread could gone on forever…

Quickly off the top of my head, places I like by cuisine, from fancy to unfancy (none of them are particularly fancy though):

Middle Eastern:

• Maha (City)
  • Rumi (Brunswick)
  • Abla’s (Carlton)
  • Kamel (Albert Park)
  • The Moor’s Head (Thornbury)
  • Mr Lawrence (Port Melbourne)
  • Teta Mona (Brunswick)
  • Tiba’s (Brunswick)

Japanese:

• Aka Siro (Collingwood)
  • Peko Peko (Fitzroy)

Asian (excl. Jap):

• Longrain (City)
  • Chin Chin (City/Windsor)
  • Rice Queen (Fitzroy)
  • Mama’s Buoi (City)
  • Rice Paper Scissors (City)
  • Cookie (City)

Mexican:

• Mamasita (City)
  • Mesa Verde (City)
  • Pacos Tacos (City)
  • Fonda Mexican (City)
  • Touche Hombre (City)

Italian:

• Ladro (Fitzroy)
  • D.O.C. (Carlton/Albert Park)
  • 400 gradi (Brunswick)
  • Kaprica (Carlton)

Vego:

• Shakahari (Carlton/South Melbourne)
  • Vegie Bar (Fitzroy)
  • Moroccan Soup Bar (Fitzroy North)

And so many more…

^ I knew you’d be all over this thread…

FOA delivers!

cheers lads, plenty as id expect!

manatra, we’re pretty open to everything and anything. I was simply trying to sus out what members fave eats are for breaky/lunch/dinner.

I figured when i see people saying the same things/agreeing with each other then id put it on the list =D

Oh, and would love to have beer/coke with any FOAer, but seeing as time is short, not sure the missus would appreciate me ditching her for a bunch of blokes off the internet.

But if i happen to spot you ill be sure to wave you down, shout out your screen name :slight_smile: