What wheels for the boards

I want to build a set of clincher wheels that will work well on the boards and be an appropriate for an early 1980’s Australian track bike restoration. I have a few options to play with and I"m struggling to find any significant benefit/drawback that weighs in favour of any one option:

Hubs:
vintage Dura Ace high-flange (c.early 1980’s) in pretty good used nick (will install new bearings)
new Suzue Pro Max high-flange (NJS)

Rims:
Mavic Open Pro
Velocity (take your pick - Aero, Deep-V, Aerohead) (edit - I don’t really want to use Velocity, but thought I’d mention 'em anyway)
Any other rim suggestions (DT, something else? I’m thinking that availability will be the main issue)?

I’m not particularly worried about spokes. If $$$ allows, bladed would be nice.

Any constructive opinions from those who tread the boards?

I’m not sure if its constructive, and i dont rock the boards, but anyway…

Tubulars;
GEL280s;
No Velocity!;
Vintage Dura-Ace forshizzle;
AE-15 spokes dont cost that much, cheaper than DT bladed;

That is all.

I’m steering away from tubs as I don’t intend to be that serious on the track and tubs mean no road for those wheels.

I agree no Velocity - thankew Spud!

Will chase up the Wheelsmith AE-15’s Does Dan use 'em?

If you aren’t going to be serious on the boards - then why does it matter what you use. You could even ride your sloppy/snappy joes.

If it’s a period restoration, then get a period catalog and choose from that. Done.

While vintage is preferable, I want it to be seriously good to ride nath,

I’m don’t want vintage at the expense of functionality.

I would recommend the Suzue Pro Max’s as they are NEW and are one of the best hubs around; ie they would probably have the least resistance compared to a secondhand Dura ace.
In terms of rims, I agree that you should probably stay away from Velocity, only because you are obviously after an above par wheelset. Don’t get me wrong, Velocity are great, but Mavic are usually constructed in a more sophisticated way. For instance, I was told that the Open Pro’s ends are welded, whereas the Deep V’s are just pinned… little details like that make will cut milliseconds off your time, not. :smiley:

And what about getting singles?

singles…

My feeling is that I might want to rid ethese wheels on the street at some time and also potentially re-sell them and it would seem that singles 1. are not a day-to-day street wheel and, 2. don’t have good resale value.

Decisions, decisions.

Use a pair, then decide!!!

You know what they say - "Once you go black, you never go back’ :wink:

Is this because you flat often? Otherwise i’d say ‘why not’?

Another note on flat tyres. Over the past 450hours of riding, i’ve had one flat. Good luck or good technique? You be the judge.

Is this because you flat often? Otherwise i’d say ‘why not’?

Another note on flat tyres. Over the past 450hours of riding, i’ve had one flat. Good luck or good technique? You be the judge.
[/quote]

Good luck then I guess?

Hahahahahahah.

:expressionless:

Was chatting to ndf on the Sat ride about track wheels and the merits of tubulars were raised.

I’ve decided to build up my old Dura Ace hubs and have decided that I am building a track bike and as tubs roll much better… I’m leaning in that direction now (can’t make this decision too hastily…)

Has anyone ridden on vintage bits, specifically tubular rims or have any thoughts on these NOS fiamme red label tubulars? I’m wondering if their robustness/strength could be an issue.

What are my modern options in terms of tubular rims (readily available in Melburn)?

(I know of Velocity Aerohead and I’m sure there will be Mavic rims to choose from - any idea of cost (before I start asking round the stores)?)

Old school but generally very well regarded.

Thanks to Lats for the contact, I managed to get myself a pair of Cherchi Fiamme ‘Hard Silver’ vintage tubular rims.

I don’t suppose that anyone knows what a ‘Hard Silver’ rim is compared to the more well-known ‘Red Label’ or Yellow Label’ rims?

I managed to find this and this but I’m still a bit in the dark as to what use they were originally intended to be put to.