Where to move to

Abbortsford, Richmond, Hawthorn, South Yarra, Malvern, is a good band of suburbs.
All have good public transport close to most things.
Only down side is traffic can be heavy especially with football.

shhhh…

theres only so many felafels to go around.

Was in Coburg on Saturday. Did go to Zaatar and buy a falafel.

^ should have dropped in for a beer

Expected to see you just riding round the streets dropping zingers on random strangers. Was sorely disappointed.

How far (how many suburbs out) from the city does one need to go to find an affordable ($400-500) house/home/townhouse in Melbourne? I’m envisioning Brunswick, Coburg, Collingwood etc but is that unrealistic?
What about Heidelberg? I want to live there and commute across Yarra everyday.

Similar situation to Marc, we’re facing a move in the near, distant future. That and Canberra sucks.

@ that price, Brunz is totally viable; Fitz less so, but stil options.

Maybe Northcote/Thornbury Mouche. Closer to Yarra. Good vibe. Good food. But Brunny is good too. And Coburg is cheaper and good.

You just broke Ezy’s heart

I’d love to move to Canberra, Canberra rules! But we’ll move wherever the main income is moving too and thats not me I am afraid. Don’t think Melbourne would be too bad though, never really fell in love with Sydney and am not sure if I ever will.
(the riding up here on the Northern Beaches is pretty nice but I am pretty much riding the same streets every weekend, especially as I am kind of living on an island - which is nice on its own having the beach in your from yard and a lake in the backyard but still)

I live in Mt Wav and commute to CBD daily. Quiet, growing number or quality eateries, OK and diverse shops, family friendly, good schools, reasonable access to 'nongs/lysterfield and not TOO far from beach rd if that’s your thing. atmo.

Suburbs listed above are all solid choices if you want to be close-ish to gf’s work but agree something like a Richmond/Burnley would be great if you want to be striking distance to city yet still this side of town - would be commuting against the worst of the traffic with freeway and PT options.

Anything in the E/SE anywhere would be liveable with good cafes and shops, rental prices will be cheaper the further out you go to Mt Waverly. The closer in you get the closer the cool local café is likely to be but the higher the rent.

My previous suggestions were based on presuming the OP might be working in the city and wanting a reasonable daily riding commute. I did the city to Mt Waverly reverse commute for a year and it was 23kms each way, for me just a little to far for every day use.

I know that the northerners love the north but they are likely compelling the girlfriend to a long grinding car commute without clear direct options.

Good work.

Hot tip is that Half Moon in the pedestrian section just up Sydney Rd is the goods for the chickpea goodness(also House of Abboud for sitdown or smaller wraps).

Bedrooms make a big difference.
Cross into the 3 bedroom territory and the prices rocket up.
2 Beds average apartment in Brunswick will be $400-$500.
Coburg unless north of Bell Street will be close to the same prices.

i’ve been gone for so long and finding this an interesting discussion
what is the $400-500?
p/w for 1 room?
p/w for a whole 2 bed apart?

Don’t think anything has change in regards to the best burbs? Would be looking at renting a studio or 1 bedroom apartment and am currently very much liking Abbotsford (for no real reason really but I hardly know Melbourne). After very much considering Hobart as the place to be I like to test out life in a place with more life, art, culture, people, cyclists first. Being on my own one of the most important things is life around me and the possibility to meet new people. I also like the idea of getting everywhere by bike and/or public transport if need be. I have obviously no idea where work will be located but I may be able to work from home to start with. Road riding is on the very top of my list…

Yeah good move. Abbotsford and surrounds is great.

yeah, abbotsford is sweet, close to trails and town, usually something to do nearby. no idea of cost though.

Abbotsford and surrounding suburbs (Collingwood, Fitzroy, Fitzroy North, Richmond) are all ace.

Thanks folks! I will be coming down next week to check it out and experience it on my own. Will be staying in Agyle Street in Fitzroy. Let me know if there is anything that I really NEED to check out. I love a nice pub eg.