White industries vbc cranks

So I have been looking at these a bit and they look great but,
Has any one here used them or know any one who has?
Im after some different compact cranks for a gravel/beardo bike and like that I can configure it how I want and am thinking 50/32 and May be 13/29

Have built them a few times onto customer bikes. The range and different ring combos that WI offer is quite rad. So many applications i.e road, gravel, touring… They look quite good with modern running gear. I’ve got a boxed set which I’ve had for a while which I will hopefully use in the future when the right build comes up.

Quite a few write ups on them. Prolly has a set on his geekhouse and he’s written about them.

edit: Well Used: White Industries VBC Cranks | The Radavist | A group of individuals who share a love of cycling and the outdoors.

Yeah but the outer ring is splined so you gotta buy a new WI outer ring to change the big ring ratio. A 110/74 BCD set will let you do the same and can use any outer rings.

They are nice but also $380?

Do they have Ramps and pins or just straight cut?
It seams most nice cranks are around the $350, I looked at sugino Mighty tourer compacts, veloce compacts.

WI ones must be ramped and actually $80 a big ring isn’t crazy compared to shimano 3d stuff.

Other possibles could be sugino ox601d or the IRD 94bcd cranks?

They just seem really expensive for what is a very simple square taper crank. Not even that light.

Yeah, but the beauty lies in the gearing combos you can have. You wouldn’t buy these and just chuck a 50/34 on them, but if you wanted a 44/28 or summat then they’re perfect. I’d get a set but for the cost. And I kinda have a boner for the Sugino OX601/801/901.

Actually cheaper than campy and like hm said endless combo’s, Hopefully as long as they make chain rings a set for life.

Cheapest new crank with a variety of small 2nd ring options is maybe the Soma/IRD Defiant “wide compact” crank that comes with a 94mm BCD. Sold with 46/30 rings but you can fit down to 29T and get up to about 50T by looking around. They have 20% sales every so often, one recently.

A cheaper option is maybe 94/58 which was sold briefly by Shimano for MTB as a triple in the mid-90s, and there are still M737 and M563 cranks that come up. Those triples are hard to use for road because they still have wide-ish chainline and Q factor with small BBs. Usable maybe if you have a 132.5mm rear spaced frame where you can use a 135mm rear hub. If you were just to use the inner 2 positions with these or with 110/74, then you need to find a bash guard to fill the outer space, and none of them look really beautiful.