Wider Tyres

Gravel changes things a bit. Durano are mostly slick.

Another criterion to consider.

I’m now with nexus. Randos are wide, cushy, cheap, durable and good on a range of different surfaces.

Mind you, if you want a quality tyre in a 25mm, I’d go the Vredestein Fortezza. My personal fave!

+1, you can get folding rando’s that don’t weight too much for ~$30 a tyre- althought I think they are mid way thru changing the name to voyagers or journalier or something stupid. Rando cross’s have a little tread. And they last for ages.

If its gonna go on gravel just get the biggest that’ll fit in the frame, if she’s not confident on gravel a 25mm aint gonna help.

If gumwall’s are a must, Resist Nomads come in 700x28, but they are a bit pricey.

rando hyper, or whatever it’s been renamed to. regular randos are so damn stiff.

nomads are nice.

pasela 28s come in gumwall, don’t ride too bad, good choice for this too.

I’ve been using a set of second hand Durano Plus’ in 25’s as commuting tyres for the last year or so. They’re squaring off and have a bunch of little splits in them, but they’re still going strong.* I also have Panaracer Pasela’s in 32 on my CX bike. Love them, use them on road, gravel, dirt, whatever.

• I’ll get a flat on my way home now.

Guys, thanks for weighing in. I’ve been convinced off the Gatorskins. Would concur that Randonneurs are good tyres for the price but am just a little bit concerned about the weight, cos I’m trying to keep things as light as possible for her. I might most likely get these.

Preferably I’d get Schwalbe tyres since the store I do some time at could order some in at mate price. How would the Schwalbe Marathons compare?

sweet taste. my bike, yes. not hers :stuck_out_tongue:

Marathon’s puncture resistance is pretty excellent but the weight is horrible and honestly I think they ride like shit. Would suggest the Duranos over the Marathons for this circumstance. FWIW, I also highly rate the Panaracer Paselas. Fucking love those tyres. 25s. 28s. 32s. All excellent. GP4s are also pretty sick.

wiggle.com.au | Schwalbe Durano Performance Folding Road City Tyre | Hybrid and Touring Tyres

/end thread

rando over marathon.

schwalbe delta cruiser is worth a look too. had some big, fat, cream ones that looked nice, and handled the dirt as well as any other road tyre.