Wisemans ferry gravel grind 12 March 2017

That’s precisely the route I have planned (Upper Mangrove). I am pretty confident it will connect!

To entice anyone in joining me - look how rad this road looks: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.293094,151.1509191,3a,75y,208.24h,79.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXGUhyd0_UNq6cCdZ-ypsuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

I’ll DM you my number in case you decide on camping the night before.

I’ll join you on the TT to Windsor too :slight_smile:

PS: anyone got a stove I could borrow? Mine’s still in Melbourne :frowning:

Can’t do this weekend now, blame Aeons.

Shocked.

[QUOTE=tom.;663723]That’s precisely the route I have planned (Upper Mangrove). I am pretty confident it will connect!

Tom,

I have done the route you are planning in the opposite direction, and it all connects up. Just take a map and get your head around the topography so you know where you are going. The climb (for you) out towards ten mile hollow was very leafy and covered in little sticks, the old great north road lumpy, but you are missing a lot of the more MTB sections further north. On 25s it will be tough.

Re the bush ranger thread, the western commission trail was the smoothest road out of the lot when I rode it, and that is how I would get down to Mill Creek. Also on a Friday night there was a group drinking and spewing all night right up the back of the amp, I would set up near the grey nomads in the camper vans if I was doing it again.

You can borrow my small Trangia stove if you can stop by or start from Berowra, I’m in Berowra Heights

Imgur
Western commission trail 2013

Imgur
Riding out towards Mangrove

Imgur

Imgur

All the advice is from memory, so it’s all care no responsibility.

Thanks, Carlin. All noted! Thx for tip re: camping

I’m not rly worried 'bout underbiking, more concerned with riding illegal trails :0

The weather is looking ok so far. Still showers around , so it could mean anything.

A few reminders about the ride for anyone new to the route:

There is little to no phone reception or services pretty much the whole way until back at Wiseman’s Ferry. People usually start looking for water at Putty Road Colo Heights, but there is nothing until well on the way nack to Wiseman’s. This is private property too and it just comes straight out of the river. So best to make sure you take plenty of water.

There is a bail out early. No one has taken it yet I think, but good to know it is there.

We stop at the top of hills and big juctions, slowest rider sets the pace, stick together because it is a bit of an isolated area, I expect it to take 5 hours +

Otherwise looking forward to catching up and getting the tyres dirty.

Really looking forward to this.

Me too.

The forecast for Sunday has been getting warmer and warmer. I’ll be testing out my new 5-bidon hydration strategy.

Busses between Gordon and Berowa all weekend… fun transport stage woo

So I went and saw papa spirito today and we discussed a revisit. Jono we also talked about doing this again during the great ezylee Sydney tour. What say everyone? New thread or just organise something in here if it’s the same meet spot/destination?

I endorse this ride but will most likely be OS when it comes around.

You mean doing the ~90k up to the Colo and back to Wisemans route? If you organise it here, I’ll copy and paste details on the first post and thread title too.

And I’m keen for any riding up that way.

Nah, I think he means the “Gravel Grind for Dummies” ride. That’s the one I was talking to Ben about, but could be wrong.

So Dave, which one do you mean? The Wiseman’s -> St Alban’s pub ride, or the 90 km loop?

id be keen for either of those two rides.

You’re right Jono, I initially meant the pub ride…but I’d be keen for either. Whichever people vote for most. Either way I’d probably ride out from the city and ride back as far as time/body permits.

Ben was keen for the pub ride IIRC, so let’s plan for that.

Soooo, dates? Let’s get a rough range to work with.

How’s Sunday 16th July sound?

Keen! Can’t do 16th of July - can do week before or after though

I’m keen to drop out at the last minute. Eh Jono? Eh? Eh?

23rd?

OMG CLASSIC HARI HE NEVER SHOWS UP TO ANYTHING