Wiseman's road loop (no gravgrav): 5 July 2020

unfortunately i won’t be able to make it. have fun :smiley:

Changed my mind, I’m riding out, see you soon

Me too. Might see you on the road.

How was it? Need to live vicariously…

Really good! I seemed to have picked the best bunch of roads in the area, and the weather really turned it on after a fucking freezing morning.
The climb up Laughtondale gully is a highlight, as is Pages Wharf Rd/Mud Island Rd, and River Rd was as good as always.
My bro-in-law and a few of his workmates came along, and a couple of em were keen to power up the climbs and weren’t great at regrouping, but they didn’t get lost and there were no mishaps apart from Alex copping a flat on the surprise gravel sector.
I ended up riding out for the start and mustn’t have eaten enough (or just not fit enough) and struggled a bit, bringing up the tail for most of the day. Clocked up 115km, which was eclipsed by Alex who hit over 200 by the time he got home. The route itself was 65km.
And then lunch at the ferry kiosk cos the pub had lines literally out the door.

All in all a really great day. Looking to do the gravel to St Albans in a month or so maybe.

5 Likes

Jono you really should have eaten some of those snotty snakes, would have fixed you right up.

I had a great day, first time all year I’ve ridden with other people, so that was a nice change. Not terrible people either.

Excellent route planning too. I can see Laughtondale gully being a fixture for future rides.

I enjoyed the ride back along River Road to Windsor afterwards, but can report that Wilberforce Rd really sucks at the moment (at least on skinny tyres) as the shoulder is just a tiny strip of broken chipseal. Thinking maybe Rouse Hill or Castle Hill might be better spots for connecting these NW rides to trains. Unless the covid flares up again. In which case I guess we’ll have other things to worry about.

This is true. It’s not as terrible on 30mm tubeless but still not great. It’s part of a regular loop I do so I’m kind of used to it, sadly.