1x10/1x11 road bike... am I crazzy?

Because I like to tinker and be different. Also any potential weight savings get me excited.

You’re gonna be disappointed oratiohh. The weight saving is not noticeable.

But if you want to try out a 10sp bar end shifter with or without Paul thumbies, give me a shout.

Thanks, I was waiting for you to chime in.
You have this kind of thing with many of your road/cx bikes, haven’t you? Lived up to expectations?

Overall I don’t think it’s worth it, in that it’s not really any advantage over having two chainrings.

There’s no appreciable weight saving. There’s potential ugliness depending on what shifters and brake levers you choose.

And chainline suffers a lot.

It worked fine on my CX bike (which was only 1x10’d because my RHS shifter broke) because I rode it more or less like a singlespeed and just used gears when I needed to. I had it set up so that the straightest chainline was close to my usual SS gear. But the chain wore a lot quicker and it was noticeably rougher riding more than a couple of cogs either side because of the crap chainline.

I’ve done 1x with 8, 9 and 10sp set ups and the 8sp was probably the best of the lot.

I wouldn’t say don’t give it a go. I think you should. But for me there’s probably no practical reason why 1x? is an improvement of 2x?.

For a road bike commuter set up I’d sooner keep 2x10 and use a smaller big ring. The Salsa was running 48/39 for a while and that worked really well. 46/36 is working really well on my CX bike at the moment.

edit: one advantage of using bar end shifters is you get really clean snappy gear changes.

#notsobigringlyfe
I tend to agree with this although it should be noted i don’t have a derailleur equipped commuter

48/34 works good on my tourer means i’m using the middle of the cassette in the big ring at commuting speeds just drop the front into the little ring at the lights then back into the big dog once up to speed again.

no cross chaining, coordinated shifts of other fuckaboutery (of course just to be different i’m running 2x7 and bar ends, love me some bar ends)

Weight savings involve nylon and carbon not removing parts that make you go fast, if you want to be strong and light just remove the 39 and the front mech 53/11-27

The fact is H. it sounds like you are going to do it regardless of what is said here. The stakes, in any case, are excruciatingly low. I say do it, see how you like it, and if you don’t , then wipe this chapter from your cycling life.

“didja hear about horatio?”
“nah…”
“went one-eleven”
“woah! that was him? woah!”

prolly not. HMC knows where it’s at. big whoopy. nobody’s going to die or anything.
i might try 38/42, and 18/14 dingle-speed on the rear, and run it on a sturmey aw hub for good measure.

FWIW I run a 48/34 + 11-36 on my crosscheck. I never shift out of the big ring for general commuting or road riding. In fact the only times I use the granny is when I’m riding loaded, towing kids or some disgustingly steep pitch on gravel.

I probably wouldn’t go a 1x10/11 roadie cos the gaps between gears are significant, but i would definitely be going 1x10 with a clutched RD if I built a CX bike that I also communted on. Probs ride with a 44 x 11-28.

Oh and I would only bother doing it with Sram cos RD/MTB cross compatibility.

Do it H! My Cecil Walker commuter is currently setup 1x9 with a barcon and I don’t miss the little ring at all. Medium dog ftw! (it’s a compact…)

Also, I took my shirt off and got half out of my bibs when climbing a hill out in the bush recently and it was fucking rad. I’m not even joking.

This time, I’m with you oratioH!

HA!

best

Thanks for all your interesting replies. I think I shall try it… stay posted kidz… :slight_smile:

I’m glad we sorted that out.

I have got Fetha components making me a 54t narrow wide chainring to put on our BMC TM02 hire TT bike.
Will be set up 1x11 with an 11/28t on the rear. No front mech.
Due to come back from hard anodizing any day now.

E

Boom, that sounds awesome, might have to swing by and check it out.

I’ve got an unused 56T you can have Evan.

56t…you got hulk legs?:wink:

This is a bit of fun for the hire bike for me. I am thinking of playing with electronics mods for it next time.
Ultilizing different Shimano shift buttons here and there.

E

Why do you think it’s unused :slight_smile:

I was thinking TT bikes might be a really good application for Di2. I’m assuming it’s possible to have multiple shifter buttons since it’s not mechanical actuation?

Keep me posted. I like the sound of the hire bike. I’m guessing it’s got the rear disc on it?

Spotted on the 'gram this morning.