3-Speed Fixed for Gravel

Really not sure what to call this one :slight_smile: My first frame work fixed gear which I grabbed while living in Berlin was feeling neglected so I did something a bit different with it. Probably need to file this under ‘sounded like a good idea at the time’ but it’s interesting none the less. Basically it’s a generic frame but the wheel set has a 3-Speed Sturmey Archer hub in the back and a drum brake wheel up front (yep, this bike ain’t lite). The basic idea was to build something for riding on things like rail trails with lots of gravel and moderate grade. Yet to use it for that of course. Here are the specs:

Frame and Forks: Generic Steel White 55cm (C-C)
Front and Rear Rims: Velocity B43 700C Silver
Rear Hub: Sturmey Archer S3X Silver 3 Speed Fixed Gear
Front Hub: Sturmey Archer X-FD With Integrated Drum Brake
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x32C
Chain: Izumi ECHO Track Chain
Cranks: Miche Primato Advanced Track Cranks 165mm
Chain Ring: Fyxomatosis 48t in Silver
Pedals: Some Crap Just for Photos
Saddle: Selle San Marco Laser in Black
Seat Post: Nitto SP72 Jaguar (NJS) 27mm
Handlebars: Nitto RB-021 Silver
Stem: Velo Orange
Brake Lever: Paul Component Reverse Bar End in Silver

My biggest complaint about the S3X hub is that it isn’t zero-lash, presumably just not possible but it basically means it feels like you are riding with a loose chain since there is a bit of play. Despite being heavy though the drum brake on the front wheel works really well. Here’s what this thing looks like:

I may have to sell it since I just don’t ride it enough. It certainly is interesting to ride though. Here are some more pics:

Bit of a MacGyver effort in that last photo, the stock clamp for the drum brake arm didn’t fit my fork, so had to go with a Bunnings solution.

This is quite odd. Do think it’s cool tho. So what are the gear ratios your running? I imagine your could get a preachy good speed up. And most importantly… Will the hub explode if you skid? :wink:

Haha, yeah people online say you can skid with the hub but frankly the 700x32c tyres are probably the bigger thing stopping that. Right now it’s running at 46/15 so 82.8 gear inches in this configuration, so 62.1 gear inches and 51.75 gear inches in the two other gears. So right now it’s more focused on lower gear inches in the other gears for hills.

The issue is the hub has a direct drive gear and then the other two give less gear inches so if you want to go up in gear inches instead of down you end up running what you more commonly ride at not on the direct drive. Not sure if that all makes sense but basically you want the direct drive gear to be the one you use most and unfortunately its at the top of the range rather than the bottom.

Yep, quite odd :slight_smile:

I can imagine a super fast commuter set up using this with road bike brakes and drop bar brake hoods. Let the googling commence.

The squashed tube areas additionally, the with care set up co2 also offer the Storck alot more forgiveness than you’d imagine interested in how well it converts your power cycling into reactions and speed into motion changes.