abuse from cars

I’m pretty much over it… as my bikes are my sole modes of transport i encounter it far too often.

if anyone in a car intentionally puts me in a situation that can cause me harm i will return the favor, be that on their car or themselves, they will know about it.

its amazing what a lock can do to a quaterpanel or headlight… i havnt got a window yet.

Just make sure you can handle yourself and or getaway if the going gets a bit tough.

oh how i would love to snatch keys from the ignition and hurl them, would be so effective.

Riding home from the Gem the other night a Taxi did a u-turn in front of me. I locked up the back and casually rode around him.
For some unknown reason he decided to follow me up Smith street and cream some stupid Paki tirade at me.
I let 'em get to me anymore. Why should I get all pissy and have a shit ride home on such a great night.
Evan

+1 , I used to go bananas at everyone but now just grin and laugh at the thought that if somebody is that shit at driving a car they must be useless at everything they do, keeps me happy anyway.

not cool.

On the other side…

I was driving down Collins St hill towards Swanston on Sunday and there’s a woman on a hybrid, panniers, fenders etc. She’s wobbling all over the bike lane, so I get over into the right hand lane for (her) safety. Then a couple of meters more and she rips across to the right (no signals and never looked to check), out of the bike lane and across both lanes to do a right hand turn into Swanston. I jammed the brakes on, but she never even noticed. Scared the crap out of us… If I hadn’t moved, I would have gone straight over the top of her.

Then on Monday night, I’m riding home and some guy in front of me on a MTB did the exact same thing. But then he turned, swore and waved his fist at the driver for sounding his horn.

The fucking world is mad! Just look out for yourself. And each other obviously.

This. Cyclists are just drivers without cars. Discuss in 25 words or less :smiley:

Cyclists are generally happier.

Cyclists are better at drinking coffee.

And not as FAT :smiley:

Cyclists are cunts. skinny happy cunts

It’s a two way street (no pun intended).

There’s only one thing worse than road raged drivers- self righteous cyclists who shout at any car that makes the slightest mistake.

+1

+2

I don’t get it. I just don’t get that much abuse. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to be self righteous about how I ride and how it’s the perfect way.I spend quite a bit of time in the saddle in and around peak traffic times, so I try and be as considerate to drivers as possible and it usually gets me through each day unscathed.

My dad gave me some sterling advice years ago: “Why bite when a bark will do?”. Works for me so far.

+1
I just try and look out for me, which just involves keeping out of the way of the idiots.

A day or two after that woman was killed on Swanston st my husband and I had no less than 2 cars and one truck swerve intentionally at us one night on the way to a friend’s place. It shook us up a bit, to the point that I was told I can’t ride at night on my own any more (sad face). Early mornings are still ok for now though so I won’t miss out on my rides in the dark.

On Monday I had two separate incidents on the ride home from work where I had right of way but the car drivers involved didn’t think I did…neither resulted in a crash (phew), both times I was tooted at and one of them even yelled out “it’s a stop sign!”. Where that stop sign was I have no idea - there was no sign or solid white line to indicate I had to stop (I was in a service lane, they were turning right from the other side of Nepean Hwy) and, wow, where the person was turning from THEY had a give way sign and broken white lines…I just had to laugh and then I enjoyed the rest of the sunny, almost no wind ride home!

Yeah, if you’re a dickhead then it doesn’t matter how many wheels you’re rolling on - you’re still a dickhead.

Right, I’m off home now, so dickheads on unicycles through to dickheads in b-doubles stay away you bastards and don’t make me be a dickhead back to you!

I think the strangest thing is that most of the abuse i recieve is when im riding later at night and is completely random in that it has nothing to do with the way im cycling, just random insults and slurs. To me i think its a cultural thing where somehow when people are in their cars feel that they are superior and feel like that they have to announce this to anyone who isnt on 4 wheels. I know alot of people who ride motorcycles and its a common problem for them also.

i get the same stuff from simply walking.

Abuse… When is there a morning ride without abuse from a random driver (in brisbane)!! The funniest thing that they underestimate the cyclists can draft at a pretty quick pace and when lights turn red cars have to stop. Nothing better the reaching for the bicycle hand pump and giving them a nice tap… tap… tap… on the window when they stop in traffic after giving abuse. I have seen some pretty funny shit cycling. The dudes i ride with are all rowers (6 foot + & 90kg) with short tempters and no time for abusive drivers. I have seen a few doors kicked in and a side mirror taken hostage on an occassion.

i normally give someone a wave or a smile if i can see they’ve been actively considerate. hopefully, next time they’ll do the same for someone else.