Advice on frames

Hey all,

I’m predominately a MTB’er but am getting back into using fixed for commuting to uni (40 minutes each way) and also for the weekend/early morning ride when I can. Problem… I’m on a pile of crap I built for fun as a kid. Wheels (campy front and suntour superbe pro rear, both on deep v) and the saddle are the only thing worth keeping.

So the question I put to you, what sort of frame would be best suited to my needs? Something that I can commute on and not worry too much about taking on a rough’ish road, but can also go for a nice ride on when back home in Bright…

I’m 6’2" and 85 kg

any help at all would be awesome :slight_smile:

First in: get a Cell

Sounds like you’re looking for a nice frame that is reliable, versatile and fun to ride. Get a Surly Steamroller.

Steamroller/ Pompino? Like dis only bigger. Maybe it could work with a 130mm stem, I dunno. Get a Cell.

Don’t get a Cell

Yeah, or an All-City Nature Boy, Voodoo Maji or On One Pompino.

The Cell is a good recommendation for someone looking for an entry-level complete bike that is cheap but not total rubbish. That could be you. But sounds like you want something a step up, and if you’ve already got a wheelset you like then just buy a nice frame that will last you forever and that you’ll love.

Pompino

Just buy something you like the colour of …

Surly Steamroller. Can take road brakes, 35c tyres and if your so inclined; raced on the track.

Fuji feathers? cheap and look decent.

yeah not getting a cell haha. thanks for the ideas. Ill check out the pompino. What about a colossi low pro?

Looks like a few places on Bike Exchange have Steamroller completes for under $1k.

I nearly have mine after a near 3 month wait. How long are you prepared to wait?

Fuji Track Pro. Specialized Langster Pro. Complete Colossi from GEAR.

Given the roughish roads bit I probs wouldn’t suggest a super-tight geo track frame. Not everyone takes their carbon steeds on single track, Henri… :slight_smile:

What sort of clearance do you get with the LowPro? I like 'em, but probably wouldn’t choose one for commuting. Keep in mind that I’m old and grumpy and haven’t ridden my pursuit bike in years…but I’d be seriously thinking about the Steamroller. It’s not light, but those clearances etc are a winner, and as Lorday says it works perfectly fine as an actual track bike too.

I commute on a Kona Major one cx bike and love it. So I will put a vote for a bike I have never ridden but others seem to be really happy with.

Kona Paddy Wagon. This one is a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mens-KONA-Paddywagon-Bicycle-56-cm-/200967770308?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item2eca9cd0c4&_uhb=1

That’s a good idea. I like the look of these, and they come with 28c tyres standard, so might even take something bigger. Pretty cheapish at the moment too.

A low pro would be terrible for “rough riding”.

I have both the Maji (commuter) and the pompino (SSCX / 700c MTB)
so i’ll give you my thoughts on these, not that you should necessarily buy them, I have no idea if e.g. a steamroller is better

Voodoo Maji is cheap and has clearance for 35s and fenders, takes side pull brakes and is not drilled for recessed brake bolt at the front (simple to drill the hole out to the 8mm required though). NikCee and the JAMS have them, they must be cool.

Pompino is a bit more money than the Maji, i’ve never fitted fenders on mine but it should take it with 28s at least if not 32s or 35s. The pomp takes canti or V brakes. Tektro AL926 BMX ones are super cheap, work well with road levers and should be fine with low profile pads, none of that filing and modification Blakey is so fond of required. If you run flat bars standard MTB V’s and levers will be fine. I’m 6’4" with longish legs and while the TT of the pomp is long enough for me (and presumably for you) in the biggest size the head tube is a bit short meaning lots of spacers and boner stems may be required. Pomps can/could be had in glow in the dark paint.

both seem to ride similarly

I love my LOOK 464 - Nice to ride, plus, it takes 28s.
People warned me against getting it for commuting, but I couldn’t be happier!
A section of my commute is on pretty shitty terrain - it handles it more than happily.
Can run both front and rear brakes - I only have a front on mine, though.

I see this as being split into to camps.

1. SSCX - durable, useful, canti equipped bikes such as Pomps, Nature Boys. All good, I love my Nature Boy and use it for a similar commute. I like having 35+ tyres for shitty roads and dirt.

2. Track-sh - buying a mash bolt/low pro etc. Looks cool, possible future use for track, probably not the best ‘commute’ (though i used to love me pursuit frame).

I’d lean towards the SSCX options for commuting, and possible racing in the future. Or a singlespeed with hanger variety like eTomatos’.