Ai Weiwei's stacked bicycles

Also, It really makes my squirm when people get up on their moral fucking highhorse and say “Those bikes should have gone to insert poor country here

He can do whatever the fuck he want with the bicycles. How about YOU do something if you feel so strongly about it. Dont be so fucking condscending.

Shortsie, all those characters you just typed should have gone to an illiterate person. What a waste.

Zing, Blakey. Zing.

Idealogically yes. To be honest I’m quite disappointed by the responses here to a simple, blindly optimistic proposition.

I’ll just leave this one.

This dude has nothing on Vargas.

The statement was not an optimistic proposition. It was disappointment the the bicycles were not used in a more “charitable” way. If it were optimistic the statement would have been.
“Woundnt it be wonderful if the bicycles were donated after the exhibition”

Charity is important. i dont dipute this, but good art is also important.

thats all.

That piece will most certainly be permanent. It will probably be sold already to a large private collector or maybe a museum, if not it will certainly be for sale. Ai Weiwei’s work is seriously sort after.

Bikes, Ming vases, antique Chinese furniture - these are all material used in Weiwei’s work. In a literal sense they are often destroyed in the process. Are they a waste ? Most certainly not. Comments claiming that they are are made from a position of privilage and ignorance. Privilage, in being from a society wherein freedom of information, speech and movement are taken for granted. Ignorance, in not understanding the context out of which the work was created, and not having a knowledge of the artist’s oeurve; and more alarmingly, implying that art or other forms of self-expression are somehow pointless and unnecessary. Art like Weiwei’s is insightful and clever. He is one of a rare few voices that is able to provide a mirror to contemporary Chinese culture.

You mean, that bit? Like, in the thing I wrote. Like, before you. Right?

Edit: Where is that paragraph about Wei Wei from?

No, i read that. It doesnt change what i think of your statement.

That Wei Wei statement is great, where from too?

Waste of Ming