Anyone done their own hole drilling?

Gotta cut down that weight. :mrgreen:

I don’t know anything about this but don’t know where else to look. Google’s not my friend tonight.

google drillium. and hand drilled brake rotors

a lot of motorbike racers do it, or used to, definitely use a paper template, and a drill press

I wouldn’t do it because I don’t think messing with the structural integrity of a chainring is a good idea.

On top of that, I think it looks shit, especially when done poorly like in that pic.

But if you are going to do it, do as LAM says.

it always looks horrible, not just in that photo.

They’re not bullet holes - They’re speed holes!

Ask Andy about the virtues of drilled seatposts.

i like the drillium!
spirito posted some nice examples in this thread:
http://fixed.org.au/forums/index.php/topic,9225.0.html

I’d be nervous removing material out of components like chainrings or brake levers or calipers.
I’m sure there is a level of redundancy in the amount of material used in bicycle component construction, but probably not very much :expressionless:

And I wouldn’t want to find out.
Doesn’t drilling create STRESS RISERS?

I don’t know about that. I’ve heard of it being done by vain tools on street bikes, but not racers who severely punish their brakes. Even in street use they often crack when it’s a home job.

I wouldn’t worry much about a chainring though, it has heaps of material for the stresses it faces, although you are encouraging fatigue cracks. Then again, fatigue life probably isn’t an issue for the people that do this sort of stuff :slight_smile:

Here’s a link to one’s guys pretty bad attempt to copy a chainring that Eddy Merckx once used:
http://www.raydobbins.com/molteni_replica/molteni_drilling_ring.htm

I’ve got some old Sugino road chainrings drilled similar to the first one on that page, done in the factory I assume. I think they look pretty cool but it’d be a bit dodgey using them on a track bike, and definitely not on a fixed street bike, with all the forces from skidding etc. They’re 3/32 to start with.

If anyone is interested in reading about stress relieving and fatigue of parts check out Carroll Smith’s book Engineered to Win (good read for anyone interested in race cars as well).

Plenty in there about stress concentration in freshly machined parts, and how to modify factory parts so there are less stress points and therefore less potential for fatigue cracks to develop, etc.

Here is one I did a while ago, none of the teeth have snapped off…yet.
(please excuse the cheapo dustcap, that was just a temporary thing)

That seat is stupid. Although I like being able to see the bike through it.

The above record chainring seems way too close to me! Good luck.

I’m going to get out the hand drill on a scrap chainring tomorrow.

“yet” may very well be the operative word - that kind of drilling surely has compromised the integrity of the ring!!!

sugino chainrings of a Dawes i owned earlier in the year. looked ok in the flesh, though i’m not a huge fan of some of examples above.

I’ve got this 49T Stronglight ring that is factory drilled from what I can tell. I rode it on the street briefly, but changed to a lower gearing. Apart from the fact that the Stronglight Type 93 crankset looks rad, I think the ring looks pretty cool too.

I’ve got this 49T Stronglight ring that is factory drilled from what I can tell. I rode it on the street briefly, but changed to a lower gearing. Apart from the fact that the Stronglight Type 93 crankset looks rad, I think the ring looks pretty cool too.
[/quote]

I used to have a set of those drilled Stronglights also in the 80’s - 46 and 56 (which was great with a 12 rear for slipstreaming trucks)

My old Cambio Rino crankset came with drilled chain rings like the ones below.

speedplay pedal drillium!!