Architecture Thread.

QV, its cold and wind swept. The retail struggles, the square is never used. Though the Supermarket and Food Court under croft is a total corker. Retail is very hard to get right, I’ve worked on a few retail schemes and its a fine balancing act. We probably would have nailed it with St Kilda Triangle - but we’ll never know now. I spent 2800 hours of my freakin life on that thing. :evil:

And ted Mosby has more luck with the ladies than your average Architect, there is a very good reason why we hook up with each other.

Grad salary sucks and doesn’t get better. Working for yourself is worse. And trying to do your own thing while holding down a day job is crazy.

If my kids say they want to go to Architecture school, I’ll shoot them… There isn’t really that much money unless you do a Nonda or Wood Marsh and become ‘Society Architects’ - there’s nothing wrong with that, I’d love to live in a Woodie’s apartment. You wont make money doing schools or houses for example.

i guess i’ve had a diff. experience to you nurbs.

grad salary + tutoring wage = comfortable.
chicks dig architects
my boss got rich doing houses (john wardle)
and i fit in heaps of extra-curricular stuff (art and djing and riding etc).

but life is busy.

hurrah, just like designers!!!

I can’t comment on the success or failure of the retail, as I simply don’t know. But I do like the urban design of QV, the fact that you can get scooped in off Swanston St, that there are multiple entry points and levels creating dynamic circulation patterns and the play of inside/outside. I disagree that the square is never used; there was an ice rink there recently and the design market last week was also popular. I will concede that the steps leading down to the Women’s Hospital are clunky and unsuccessful. I don’t think many cities could pull off such a bold development of multiple programs within a dense city block and support several local architects to boot.

Ha, Wardle - A good Society Architect

He must be paying you well then. Teaching is good money, I used to do a bit at RMIT but I don’t have the time, plus its gone to the shit. I might be attempting my real Masters next year (since all you young pups got a free Masters)

Chicks really don’t dig us - just hipster Architects.

Spare time? - obviously not working hard enough :wink:

not sure what you mean by a “society architect”.

the point being is that his wealth and fame came from houses…and he ain’t the only one.

i’m out at monash’s new course which is very fresh (obviously) and seemed to steal the better people from rmit. starting historry/theory subjects from scratch has been great.

the pay ain’t much more than what its supposed to be…i guess i never envisaged 6 figure straight out of uni.

and i got one of those free masters…looking to do another real one overseas though…wouldn’t bother doing any more study locally.

and i think you’re hanging out with the wrong chicks.

The original hipster…

as an engineer im predisposed to distrust architects but i’ll say this thread wins! :smiley: :smiley:

Don’t worry the feelings mutual.

I dunno… I trust Engineers to make sure shit doesn’t fall down.

I had no idea Nik!

True, but you gotta watch the sneaky buggers.Take your eyes off them and they’ll whack a column in a totally inapropriate place.

Their sole mission in life is to make our pretty buildings ugly :stuck_out_tongue:

hmmm. Almost as frustrating as builders telling you that the way they want to do it will look better. - what do they care if building it our way will cost six times as much and will probably fall down in a year? sheesh.

That said, I know of a certain pair of engineers who couldn’t build a bike rack to save themselves.

Structually sound pfftt. Just use Skyhooks :evil:

Don’t worry half the Architecture Graduates now a days wouldn’t know how thick a brick is, let alone how to draw it. Yet they can model a swarm diagram and turn into a funky shape, render it and call it a house. - I was like that to many years ago

what’s a brick?

And as a estimator/project manager/plumber I share the same sentiments!

i resemble that remark and for the record i was a CHEMICAL engineer. we make things go bang, not fall down when they fail.

i have no idea about static or structural forces, only dynamic (or flow/gas) forces. Dad will argue he hasnt done any engineering for years… but he is wrong and looking to avoid me suing him :evil:

california academy of science

Golden Gate Park, SF? I wanted to get there but ran out of time.