Architecture Thread.

100%
WIN

Favorite building? - i love the flatiron building in NY, just the way it looks and nice use of real estate. i love heaps of art deco stuff too. and that one that hit that mafia don the italian president in the face is pretty funny

Least Favorite building? - so many ugly structures to choose from, but new cheap, ugly designs that hide behind the facade of ‘minimalism’ are right up there

Least Favorite Architect? - Mies van der Rohe, inventor of modernism/international style/the ugly architectural version of economic rationalism

Favorite Australian building? - ACCA. srsly, i loved it before i even knew anyone that worked at the architects who designed it

and Best bikefriendly building? - i’ve forced my housemates to become a bike-friendly house. now there are 4 bikes in the hallway (and only 2 of them are mine)

strong claims.

How can you hate Mies, but love ACCA? :evil:

I cant stand Mies van der Rohe. He ruined our cities and he was also a Nazi.

how did he ruin our cities?

how did he invent international style?

how did he invent modernism?

(and what are modernism and international style in that regard anyway?)

Really? - the Nazi’s closed the Bauhaus and forced Mies to leave Germany - somehow I don’t think he was a fan.

was only a matter of time wasn’t it…

Favorite building?

• not sure. there’s a lot to choose from - but for now I’ll go with The Schroder House
    Least Favorite building?
  • School of Drama by Corrigan. I ain’t no corra hater, but damn it, I just can’t stomach that one.
    Favorite Architect?
  • Lebbeus Woods
    Favorite Australian building?
  • ACCA.
    Best bikefriendly building?
  • whatever that stadium is in Moscow that those guys were riding on top of.

yeah i know, i just want to believe he was a Nazi cos i dont like him.

You know toward the end he didnt even care, he was designing these fucking grey concrete monstrosities with no regard for us poor cunts who have to look at them.

there is this thing called Google thats really good at answering question just like those.

What about Lance Hardwood?

Ha, gotta love Ted Mosby - At the moment he’s the only fictional architect I can think of that isn’t a serial killer.

I was trying to avoid commenting but ARM has got a bit of a bad wrap here. Melbourne Central is great… do you remember the rabbit warren of a shithole that was there beforehand? QV, well yeah they missed the ball on that one. Storey Hall is fantastic, its still fantastic 10+ years later. Some of the high Po-Mo ideas are a bit old, but all in all no one (including ARM) have really done much better…though tht MTC building is pretty hot.

Oh yeah and I’ve also work at ARM for five years since I graduated, so I’m indoctrinated.

Mies wasn’t a Nazi and he didn’t invent Modernism. If anything he was more of a classicist. International style was definitely influenced by Mies but it was developers and real estate agents who got it going gangbusters - el cheapo buildings.

Favorite Building I’d have to say the TWA terminal at JFK Airport by Eero Sarrinin

Least Favorite The Gherkin in London

Favorite Architect Aside from my girlfriend. Robert Venturi or Louis Khan

Favorite Building in Australia Storey Hall

Best Bike Friendly umm the FIAT factory, with the testing track on the roof… I’d love to burn around that.

really.

i just googled all of them and i got nothing.

i guess your architectural education taught you better than mine did.

i’m actually interested to hear what you have to say on the topic too…not just baiting for an argument. my opinion on architects and architeture changes with all the reasearch i do. on all sorts of people.

as far as i’m aware mies was instrumental in developming modernist principals in planning, but it was Phillip Johnson who coined the term “international design” (doing so by lumping together work from realistically different architects with different approaches to design). Admittedly Mies was one of those…but by that logic there are a fair few others responsible.

Also while Mies was incharge of the highly influlential Weissenhof work which was influential in Johnson’s exhibition…it was a rather more european-centric display of contemporary housing techniques…inwhich many of the participants ingnored the intended purpose.

“international style” was never ‘invented’…it was coined by architectural critics…what it led to coulld be attributed to so many contemporaries of mies.

And while Mies’ work was appropriated by the corporate world post-ww2 and become a symbol of gloabalised industry i’m not sure how one could argue that it ruined our cities. (but i’m interested to see it done…it would be an intersting argument no doubt).

And Mies is fundamental in the development of the domestic plan continuing on from the work of Frank Lloyd Wright and onto that overshadowing figure of australian architecture glenn murcutt.

Anyway…good discussion topic imo.

(and for the record I’m a recent graduate working at a reputable design office and tutoring in arhcitectural history/theory. And while i obviuosly feel like i have a fair bit of knowledge on architectural things i’m constantly learning and therefore constantly developing opinions).

easily

Hey Shortsie, let’s you and i get together, write up a proposal and see if we can’t get a scholarship for a research doctorate:

On why Mies van der Rohe was a Cunt

ps, i don’t know shit about architecture, just what i do and don’t like

yep. nice one. - wish I’d thought of that.

It’s one of my most hated questions, I can never answer honestly. My favorite is “Why don’t you Architects make them like the nice old buildings anymore?” and of course the old “You must be rich” :cry:

yeah I know. I keep thinking of other buildings that I like more. - but I thought I’d keep the questions relativly simple. - except that last one. not sure what I was thinking there…

and yeah - I was under the impression that I’d be quite rich by now. but I’m not. The worst thing is, I’m becoming more and more aware that the world would get along just fine without architects. :expressionless:

Nothing wrong with architects- but there are a lot of you! And all my architect friends don’t seem to earn much $$, and often they are treated like disposable workers.
Good luck!

I like ARM that their buildings always go far beyond pragmatic and aesthetic concerns. I am also a fan of what they did to Melbourne Central, not many architects even touch (or are allowed to touch) such high level consumerism.

I’m not sure what you don’t like about QV? Apart from destroying the skate park. :wink:

Louis Kahn would certainly threaten my favourite architect top spot. I really have to take a few months off and go and visit some of his buildings. ‘My Architect’ is a brilliant insight into the man.

the first bit of advice i got from arhcitects when deciding to do it was “don’t do architecture”.

and “you’ll never make any money”.

but i’m happy i do it. and i make more than enough to live as a grad…and it’ll get better.

its nowhere near the wage of comparable courses (in length and commitment…ie med, dentists, lawyers) but everyone is told that pretty early on in their study.

and there is money in it…just gotta be good at it or sell yourself well…just like anything else in life.

but i still aim to marry rich.