Around the Bay

Well that was a long day.

First half was a novelty riding in amongst big groups (never did do any group rides in preparation). Got a bit lonely from Queenscliff to Geelong and the hills didn’t help. After Geelong was nice and fast, down in the drops and spinning away - limiting factor from there on to the finish was the hellacious pain in my assneck. Bridge was closed when I got there, got lost on the alternate route, picked up another lost soul and we rolled back to the city (via flemington :?) and crossed the line about 7:30pm.

In the back half I kept passing a grey-haired audax-looking couple every hour or two. I guess I’m not much chop when it comes to pacing - I’d fly by them and have a decent break at the next rest stop, at which point they obviously greybearded their way past me at their maddeningly steady pace. I got slower and slower the closer I got to the city but I’m sure they rolled in well before me and feeling a lot fresher too.

Had a great time, thanks for the tips earlier this year. Looked like you guys had a nice group going as you flew past.

I was talking to that guy on the ferry to Sorrento and rode with him for a bit from sorrento to dromana, 82" gearing as he couldn’t spin as much now he was “getting on a bit”. He disappeared ahead of me on the Dromana to Mt. Martha climb, never saw him again.

Andrew

&Hiding on a geared bike&

I didn’t see the guy on the Hillbrick but it might have been a guy I met recently up in Noosa. His name was John and he had just bought a Hillbrick Pista (red color) and would be about 60 - he told me he was planning on coming down to Melbourne to ride ATB.
Was he wearing a Holden High Country Challenge jersey?

Same guy, I don’t recall the jersey.

Good one - he is a top bloke. I think his name is John Jameson from memory - I rode my fixie with him and a couple of his mates (all similar age) on a recent holiday up at Noosa - if anyone is up that way looking to ride he and his group are part of the Noosa riding group that go out most days of the week from Noosaville - they have their own website.