Bags.

+1 for crumpler.
ive had mine for almost a year, used everyday. still looks tops. plenty of compartments, for iPods, cameras, pencil cases, books, tools. solid as a rock.
go ahead, treat yrself.

meanwhile … in Sweden … funky boblbe-e bag from ‘xero’ in elgin st – sure it’s an IT shop but they have the bags.

“Our impact resistant Megalopolis models are CE certified as back protectors for motorcycle riders and skiers”

I used one touring in Easter. sleeping bag, tent, sleeping mat, and a few other bits and pieces. What didn’t fit in the bag got shackled to the outside. Don’t know if you could use it to transfer big/flat stuff like medical imaging but there is that cargo net …

as for commuting and lugging shit around it’s fine. I might have to get the CON DOM
… so I don’t get fscked on the road at night.

(xero also have dancing rabbit wireless routers as well … if you’re into that kind of thing …)

If you are after a simple but really great backpack check these guys out. Seal Line Waterproof Bags…

Im riding with the 35L Boundary Pack and really like it. Big, waterproof and surprisingly comfy, about $160ish from outdoorsy type shops. I got mine from Outsports in Moorabbin, but you could ask at Bogong in little Bourke st.

Only downside is that they have no padding on your back so if you are carrying something hard and pointy it may be a bit uncomfortable. I always put my change of clothes against my back which solves that problem completely.

Great bags!

Ha it’s interesting how there has been over 10 suggestions of different makes of bags. Everyone is an expert!

11… I can also recommend Manhattan Portage as well.

I got one of these for a couple of bucks at a garage sale and it works fine. Their others look ok too.
https://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/Shoulder-Bags/Reflective-DJ/138

Looks really nice. But how does US$69.95 RRP in the US equate to AUS$160 in the shops? That’s a pretty big markup.

Des

Why don’t you just nock one up on your sewing machine Nexus? Or have you ran out of hockey shorts to butcher?

I could sew a couple of straps onto a green safeway bag if you need a new musette

There were a whole bunch of full-sized australia post mailbags sitting in the foyer at work … for days … up until recently. They would have made great bike bags :\ curse my morals

mmm I struggled to figure that one out to. I had looked at that website and figured that it might cost me $100 at the most here in AUS, but they didn’t tell me the price until after I had ordered it. Oh well… there seems to be a bunch of places in the US selling them for $70-80, ex postage.

The only negative thing I would say about these bags is that they are not specifically built for riding a bike. They are certainly comfortable enough but can bump your helmet forward when they are particularly full. Minor complaint.

Aust Post bags… we have hundreds of them in our mail room. They’re heavy duty canvas but I don’t reckon they’d be much use as a backpack/mess bag. A musette maybe… Craig?!

Hand-bags sweetie, handbags. Hey, I’m not the one with the sewing machine, hockey boy…