Best Indian food in Melbourne?

Punjabi Curry Cafe (johnston st). Not sure if best, but generally good!

^^The only one i have been too, It looks bloody dodgy but is bloody good

I am down with Jai ho in Richmond and I’m down with rick stein.

+10 - good for vegans too as lots of vege curries can be made without cream, ghee etc.
Plain roti with no butter = vegan = amazing

Mandalas is pretty okay too, in clifton hill

Namaste on lygon. rated highly by my indian food fussy sister-in-outlaw (its her heritage). More south indian than north though. really good dhosas and uttapam.

dosa hut over in west footscray is a banger. the ‘special’ with idly and a drink is worth the effort.

eff ‘sugar and spice’ and the others on sydney road that offer one veg curry.

Classic Curry down on Elizabeth st, cheap but good.

Also quite partial to the one just down from the railway bridge on Burgundy st in Heidelberg, best Vindaloo.

Was never all that impressed by the offerings around Melbourne’s inner suburbs. I had heard that all the best ones are down in the South Eastern suburbs where there are larger Indian communities … right down around Glen Waverley way.

But if you want to stay at home and cook I can recommend a truly excellent Canadian cookbook: Vij’s. Its a restaurant in Vancouver that is by all accounts fantastic. And the recipes in this book are really amazing. Well worth tracking down.

not surprisingly i can attest to the awesomeness of Vij’s. More of the fancy side of things… but damn the whole setup is awesome from the ‘waiting room/bar’ with snacks to the meals.

I thought canadians just sat around watching hockey eating stuff with maple sryup, drinking CC and dry.

for those out in the east, Curry Plus in Ringwood is awesome and cheap. hmm… perhaps called Shiv Indian Cuisine now.

hey horatio, have you heard of this website? it has rankings and everything!

Urbanspoon

Just couldn’t help yourself could you.

I don’t care what mr internet numpty thinks, I only care about fellow FOAers

uhhhh, isn’t FOA on the internet?

I think for me FOA kind of transcends the internet

sometimes you say the most beautiful things.

Aashiana - Belmore rd Balwyn
Indian Tukka - Victoria pd Collingwood
Tandoori Point -Elwood

You won’t see avymetal saying that!

Le taj in west Melbourne. Expensive and dud atmosphere but best curries I’ve had in melb, esp if you like serious heat. They have a bhoot Jolokai curry - translates to ghost chilli curry. Fing hot, not for your average honky chilli tolerance levels

was discussing a similar topic a few months back with some mates.
they have two heat scales, Aussie and Expat, the hottest on the Aussie scale is equal to the beginning of the Expat.
before ordering you need to establish which scale the shop employs.
always entertaining cos someone gets it wrong everytime.

Expat Finnish would have a rather low chilli threshold, right? :slight_smile: