Best wheel builder in brisbane

you should be able to find them online somewhere even if you have to order them longer, we can always get them cut down.

i lucked out on ebay last year and found right length spokes, 70 DT Swiss Super Comp in black for about 95 posted, shit of a time finding coloured nipples, then when i went to have em built (shifter - melbourne) they had red nipples and i was all FCUK YEAH MANG and then the bill appeared when i picked em up and i think i got stung an extra $75 for the coloured nipples alone, almost pooped a bit, haha so i immediately asked for the silver nipples i originally provided back, wheels are super duper though, anyways whatever ya do get a quote!

but as has been said, it’s kind of pointless trying to bargain hunt a cheap set of wheels. you can pick up odd parts here and there and cobble together some stuff and away you go, but if its as cheap as it can be, they won’t be a “set”. if you’re gonna buy new parts, and you can’t build yourself, you end up copping labour. but if you buy a set from a shop, like Gear, you still pay the labour but you’ll probably end up paying less for the parts if you break it down.

in my experience, for wheels its only necessary to source parts that are crazy cheap. else just hit up a shop. you’re new to fixed gearedness, just get a set of velocitys from gear, strong, reliable and supports multiple local business’

try www.starbike.com for spokes

Buy a set of stock velocities from Erik at Gear. They’ll be bomb proof, look nice (if you’re into that sort of thing), and won’t cost the earth. If anything goes wrong with them (highly unlikely) you’ve got the dude who sold them to you and the guys who made them for him in the same city. Once you want to upgrade you can chuck them on your polo bike or pub bike.

words to live by

Antmandan speaketh the truth.
You ride downhill? I’ve seen a few MTB mates get sone fixed gears.
You know the guy who buys the shit, second hand DH bike, old, beaten up, bent hangar, can’t keep up, breaks something every ride and ruins everyone else’s time?
Don’t be that guy.
Buy cheap, buy twice.
Go into gear, hand over $450 and say ‘gimme some wheels please’.

I would hand over 350 easily but not sure I cna get anythign for 350 … 450 seems a bit steep considering I only do fixed as a part time thing

at least fork out for a decent rear if your trying to stick to a budget, you can upgrade the front later.

EDIT: plus Erik quite often has specials on sets, so if your not fussed about colour you can probly get something within budget. remember to check for specials on chuckers as well, same as a veep but wider profile, good if wanting to run larger tires.

Deep v sets are now down to $400 I think. If you ask nice we’ll give Adam/ Goose/ Velocity a call and see if they’ve got any seconds laying about. They usually go for $350 and I’ve never been able to tell why they’re seconds.

The squeakest wheel always gets the most oil.

^^ keh?

still on heavy meds az?

Yeah.

If you can pay $350 spend $50 more and get deep v’s that’s only a few drinks these days.
Hangovers suck new wheels are king.

$350 was maxing out … i might wait till trade access maybe i will find a second hand pair? any issues you would look out for in second hand?

dints in wall of rims

spoke hole ‘pull’

stripped threads on hubs

bad colours like purple and orange

cracks in the rim join

Mods have been so gentle on this guy, and we’ve all been helpful, what gives?
I mean, I’m always helpful, but usually there’s ‘use dat search function bro’, in which case he sees advice leading to ‘get some deep v’s’. Then thread is locked as noob saves his money.

THIS! squeakiest noob! Haha

350 is your max for wheels, yet you wanna drop 400+ on a colossi Frame??? Get a cheaper frame or wear the cost of good frame/good wheels. next thing you know, you’ll only wanna spend 100bucks on the complete driveline. Fuck sort your shit out kid.

Tell everyone your budget and we can tell you what to buy.

Ain’t no way you were gonna get a set of wheels built (rims, hubs, spokes, nipples, labour) for 350 unless you macgyver that shit.

You also said you might lash out and get a 'spoke… you think they grow on trees or something???

If you’ve got $400(+p&h) I’ve got a set of 36h Campy Record to aeroheads in a fetching blue ano, bladed spokes and even a lockring. 1000 x the street cred of deep v’s.

+1 Aeroheads are sweet

approx breakdown of costs
Ebay 36 hole Campy Hubs = $300-320 (correct me if I’m wrong anyone and if you can find them)
Aerohead rims $110 each x 2 = $220
Spokes $100 at least
Wheelbuild $60 minimum/wheel x 2 =$120

at least $720 to build these wheels so for $400 including postage = bargain

please correct me if I was wrong in my estimations

Didn’t think they came in blue though.