Bikepacking Bag/Frame Bag Manufacturers

It will be interesting to see how stainless tube goes unsuppprted. Stailess work hardens when it bounces around and can crack.

Yeah, there’s always that

Yeah, but Brooks’ are always slammed back, leaves plenty of room.

My bagman has 20,000km+ on it without a drama. I don’t use my saddle bag much anymore but I’m never getting rid of the bagman, it’s pretty much a perfect piece of kit.

All (barring very specific strain rate cases for a few alloys) metals work harden from plastic deformation which increases the dislocation density.

Bouncing around is elastic deformation which doesn’t harden anything.

Put a heavy load on some 8mm stainless tubing and hit a big bump and it will plastically deform, it’s not hard to bend the stuff

Lots of new(ish) bike packing bags and other gear

I really want to make my own waterproof camera pouch.
I’ve got an idea to incorporate drybag material, sealed seams and a roll top

Why not just a small drybag? I have one that would fit your a6000 quite well (plus, it’s pink)

Thanks but I’ve got pletny of drybags. There’s two reasons.

1. I’m getting a new lens soon and it won’t fit in the old bag.
  2. I want the pouch to be waterproof so I don’t have to fiddle around with a bag in a pouch

I dunno about you guys but I’m pretty keen on the Klymit Dickboat

Who has the Oveja Negra half frame bag? What do you fit in it? I’m envisioning my cooking kit, tarp, hammock and sleeping bag in a large version. Too idealistic?

Cooking pot might be too wide. I put mine in my saddle bag. The rest may fit, depending on how compact your sleeping bag goes. Otherwise in a drybag or rando bag off the front is usually the way to go.

My approach is to fit the biggest stuff in the biggest bag first, then work down to the smallest pieces, keeping in mind accessibility while riding. Some things I never need while riding (tent poles, etc.) while others I do (sunscreen, food, phone, bear spray, bikini, nuclear launch codes, etc.)

Ok cool, that’s a handy way to thing about it. Thanks Adz. Just to clarify - I won’t need my bikini on the Hunt ride, will I?

There’ll be opportunities to use it

I have one of those. I think you’d need a pretty tiny sleeping bag to fit it in - there’s no way mine would come close. I’ve found a sleeping bag is pretty easy to strap to your bars as long as it has exterior compression straps.

The frame bag is a good place for heavier stuff, e.g. tools or a water bladder. In this pic I think I had my tent poles, some tools, a few tubes, a rolled up jacket and a mini towel squashed into the remainder. The small pocket on the left is good for a phone and wallet at most. This is a size large too.

No chance.

I pack mine like this:

• bag and mat on the bars in dry bag
  • clothes, tent and cooker and extra food in the saddle bag
  • poles and pegs under top-tube between half frame bag and frame
  • Food, smallest gas cannister, odds and ends in half frame bag
  • more food/small clothing in feed bag
  • wallet phone etc in top tube bag by stem
  • tools and small spares in top tube bag by seatpost
  • spare tubes in ziplock bags tapped to frame in odd places.

Cool, thanks for the input everyone. Just trying to get my head around the extra bags I should get. Right now it really only looks like the half frame bag and a feed bag or two.

Scroll down to the revelate section. Camera bag coming.

Hello! I just received a front harness, and I was going to use the eVent compress sack with it, for similar set up to MikeD has suggested.
Keen to hear how other people are setting up their bags and distributing their gear.

The way mike does it is good because it puts the light but bulky stuff on the bars (more weight on bars = more handeling is affected).

I do things a bit different, mostly because I like to keep all my sleep setup together (I found it makes it easier to setup once you get to camp). Everyone is going to pack slightly differently based on how bulky their gear is and where it will fit.

What I used to do is:
Saddle bag: Tent, mat, sleeping bag
Half Frame bag: tent poles, headlamp, some food, tubes, tools
Bar bag: clothes, rain jacket, gas and cooker, more food.
Feed bag and top tube bag: snax

You may or may not be able to fit your entire sleep setup in your saddle bag though.

With a bit of new gear for the Hunt 1000 my new setup is:
Saddle bag: Camp clothes, bivvy, sleeping bag and mat. (What I started doing is folding the mat rather than rolling it, putting it on the base of the bag and then stuffing other things on top, packs way better that way, less bulgy)
Half frame bag: Gas and cooker, rain jacket, food, tools, headlamp
Feed bag and top tube bag: snax
No handle bar bag.