Boardgames

Hero Quest and Space Hulk took up a fair bulk of my childhood.

Oh yeh, I just remembered my favourite video game site, Rock Paper Shotgun, also has a semi-regular boardgame review called Cardboard Children.
Go here: Cardboard Children | Rock, Paper, Shotgun: putting things on a pedestal above a pit filled with rotating spikes

+1 for Carcassonne. Works well for two people

Ticket to Ride works well with two or more and isn’t as nerdy a concept for those non-gamers

If any thread will bring Shortsie back, it’s this one.

Didn’t Rolly house sit sh… wait.

wut?

Terrible memory, Roland.

Last time I was in Melbourne, you were house sitting… I kept mistaking Snowflake for Shortsie because I am stupid. (apologies for the mixup Snowflake - I only made the mistake about 10 times)

…and then I found 50 bucks.

FUCK! BOARDGAMES PEOPLE!! IT IS ALL ABOUT BOARDGAMES!! Get out of my thread Roland.

haha x 1000

we got a sweet one called pandemic.
it’s a team strategy game so no winners/losers (or at least you either all win or all lose).
kinda good for 2, found 4 too many almost.

Oh my god, Pandemic! How did i forget that one. I’ve played it twice and been beaten by the board twice. Super tense. By the end people were standing over the board, urgently debating where to send people. “But if we send the scientist to Delhi, we lose the card we need to cure the yellow disease! Yes but if we don’t the medic can’t get there, and we can’t take another outbreak, if the next card is yellow, we’re fucked. What if, what if instead… Shit. Moscow. Oh my god, how did we forget Moscow. The research station! Yes! But if the next card is yellow? Yeah, we’re fucked.” Highly +1.

Ticket to Ride. Only played it on the ipad but it’s great.

I’ve recently bought a few more games with 2 player options, but haven’t played them yet. Castles of Burgundy, something else with an island that is sinking and you have to work together to save artifacts, Forgotten Island?, and Ghost Stories, another coop where you play monks banishing spirits that are trying to take over a village. It’s not as clean as pandemic but it has more depth (I’m told, still haven’t played it yet either)

Shortsie would +1 TTR, and add Last Night on Earth. A zombie game in which some people play zombies and some play survivors.

Scotland Yard is good, but you need 3 minimum, basically one person is the crim and the rest are cops trying to work out where they are moving around London (taxi/bus/tube/ferry) and corner them - the crim only reveals where they are every 4 or 6 moves or something.

^^ha. me and the gf have won it once out of maybe 6 times. and we lost all 3 when my folks were here.

got other ones like it?
we could do with a couple more games for winter.

If anyone comes across “Mysteries of Old Peking” I can definately recommend it.
Very good Cluedo style game.

Geek and Sundry | Your Daily Dose of Geekiness & etc.

This is a sample of Wil Wheaton’s show, Table Top.
The Star Trek version of Settlers of Catan.

So I bought Carcassonne on the weekend and played it twice with the wife. By no means do I know how to play it properly yet, but it seems to work with two players well. I like how you don’t really know if you have won until after the game. Mrs Ezy is not too sure about the whole boardgame thing - she finds it a little too nerdy but I told her.

I might get another game for the xmas holidays.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions so far.

Taboo is a good group party game. Better if you’ve had a few drinks (if that’s your thing).

I played Lords of Waterdeep on Friday night. It’s quite complex, which wasn’t helped by the inclusion of two expansions.
It took about 3 hours to finish. It’s a pretty solid game that plays like Stone Age crossed with Dominion. It’s really one for boardgame fanatics

Dang it.

Just missed out on a bargain. Was watching this for 6 days, went out to lunch and missed the end of it.

Tokaido FUN Forge Japanese Japan Board Game | eBay

So, any of you nerds played any fun boardgames lately?

backgammon
GO
chess
Jim Rummy

Tagging along on a board games weekend with my Uncle and his friends. They are serious. Some of the games can take 24 hours to play… this is why games weekend not games night. Will report back!