Brakes. Can stop, do wanna: Fitting Tektro 926AL mini V's.

Yup, at $117/pair it’s a no brainer if you don’t ride in mud much and use hidden cable shimano or SRAM levers.

Even with mud and older shimano / any campy levers it’s a pretty good solution.

I already had noodles and cartridges, but the time wasted filing the 926ALs to clear the alpha Q fork and lapping the brass bush down greatly outweighed the dollar saving. The small amount of extra pad clearance is nice though.

(Fitting BMX 930AL vee brakes to the landshark was a doddle in comparison, bolt up, cable, adjust pads, do stoppies)

thinking that the difference in feel from the front to the rear could also be in part due to the placing of the canti studs on the fram compared to the fork, the pads have to be at the very bottom of the brake on the rear and mid-way on the front.

does that make sense?

Your rear setup is the worst possible for rim clearance, but is maximising leverage and tyre height clearance.

‘squishy’ could be the rim crushing power, or it could be brake housing compression.

throw some compressionless housing on the rear run perhaps?

Just put some compressionless housing on the rear run from the last cable stop to the noodle, a little tweaking and braking feels better.

Would be better if my rim was truer and I could run the pads closer to the rim - but that’ll be sorted soon with some new rims.

Edit: Also I got mine from on-one/planet X, $100ish a set.

Good stuff. I’m a massive fan of the Yokozuna. It totally transformed the BB7s on my CX bike. And I love it when a seemingly insignificant part sitting in the cupboard goes to somebody who makes good use of it.

Just wanted to say I have just swapped from poorly setup Shimano cantis, to Tektro RX5’s (85mm mini V) on my CX/Commute bike, and the mini V’s are awesome. Highly recommended. The swap and setup was pretty easy too

I am running 9 spd Tiagra (whatever series that is…) and the pull on the levers is pretty much to the bars, but the power and modulation is huge compared to the cantis. I am also running cross top levers with barrel adjusters which helps with getting enough throw to unclip the noodle

Can I use Shimano mountainbike cantis or do they need to be wide low pro ones? I’ve got some M650 DX, M737 XT and M560 LX ones knocking about.

That’s not a mini v question, but all cantis have the same cable pull requirements, ie calipers pull. The old super SLR shimanos are pretty great generally.

Chat with MikeD + this thread has me convinced - mini-Vs in the mail. Bye cantis, moar powar here I come.

Cheers and apologies for derailling away from mini-Vs.

No brakes:
Action Cam by Sony: Casey Brown - Death Grip - YouTube

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

NOBR AKES
NORO TORS?
WOO HOO HOO (not enough knuckles)

easily crack a hundy with no flappy clothes

Wow, Sony wish they were GoPro.

Paging boyracer….

I think this is the perfect time to post some nostalgic videos:

Bomb Bay! With Ted Shred - YouTube

Is Ted Shred even real!?

i must have watched the ted shred video about a hundred times in the last few years and every time i watch it he just becomes more and more amazing

i used to think he was a typical west coast dickhead hipster but he is the complete opposite, doesnt give a fuck what anyone thinks

ted shred is an american cycling and djing icon imo

alexb6210 = ted shred.

Man, that girl’s got skills! Fastest I’ve ever been on a trail is 70kph and that was enough to have me checking my pants (well not quite); but 96kph without brakes?!! GFTO!

Respect when respect’s due. Its a shame that 90% of MTBers’ comments on Pinkbike are by misogenistic knuckleheads. I really feel for female racer’s like Casey who struggle for the respect that they genuinely deserve.

ted shred = never the same Vans twice