Buying a Canyon bike – 2017 Canyon Strive AL 6.0

[FONT=Verdana]So as my buying a Canyon MTB pricked the interest of a few forum users, I thought it was worthwhile to start dedicated thread on why I went for a Canyon and my experience of buying from this direct sales outfit. [/FONT]

Why Canyon?

[FONT=Verdana]In needed a new bike. My 2012 Intense Tracer VP Frankenbike was well and truly starting to show its age and the thought that it might break at any time loomed large—sch-yeah… how about that![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]After fairly exhaustive research into the different bikes available, from lots of different brands—including Banshee, Transition, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Norco, Giant, Specialized and YT—I decided on a 2017 Canyon Strive AL 6.0, which I was able to pick up on run-out. It had wicked components on it and came in at about 2/3 of the price of those bikes that I could buy locally. I won’t get into the positives and negatives of LBS vs direct sales here; the only thing I would say is that, with the exception of the Specialized Enduro, all the bikes that I was seriously considering were order in only items anyway, and quite a few required pre-ordering.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]So the Strive. It appealed as it was a full alloy frame—say no to carbon!—with mostly external cable routing, threaded BB, holds a bottle inside the front triangle and took regular 650b wheels. (I’m not a fan with the way long travel 29ers descend—whilst bloody quick, as a shorter rider I feel too much of a passenger on them, especially when riding really steep gnarly trails.) It’s also a pretty tidy looking bike.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]My main reservations about the Strive were its use of a proprietary hydraulic piston—the Shapeshifter—which functioning like a dropper post, changes the rear suspension shape from 160 to 130mm, and raises and lowers the BB and head angle by one degree. This component seemed like something of an unnecessary complication to the bike and a potential point of failure; especially as reports on the durability of earlier versions were by no means great. Also with a 66 degrees, geometry wise, its on the trail end of the modern enduro bike spectrum. But I figured as there were aftermarket components available to fix both problems, it was no biggie.[/FONT]

Ordering taking delivery and assembly

[FONT=Verdana]It was just over a week between placing the order and having the box turn up on my doorstep. Not bad at all considering it came all the way from Germany to regional New Zealand.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The bike was well packed in the box and was mostly assembled with some nice reusable foam and Velcro straps holding the post and handlebars to the frame. The only issue with the packing is that the front wheel was packed rotor attached, facing the outside of the box and thus it got a bent in transit.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The bike was shipped with nifty little beam torque wrench, shock pump, some small parts such as volume spacers, tubeless valves, a sachet of assembly paste and a brick of a manual which covers most aspects of its requisite maintenance.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The bike only required minimal assembly: attaching the stem faceplate, dropping the seatpost, attaching the lever to the bar and adding air to the suspension and Shapeshifter. I did however switch around the cable routing as they were obviously intended for general brakes rather than the moto style we run down here, and the routing as it was looked like a bit of a birds nest and the rear brake had some nasty kinks in it. That said when the routing around the downtube was changed I was pretty impressed to see that all the cables were already cut to length. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I also swapped off the stock Minion SS for a DHR II, dropped in the tubeless valves, some sealant and was able to seat them first time with a floor pump. Too easy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The only minor gripes with the install, other than the bent rotor, is that the front wheels did not come with torque caps, so while they physically fit in the fork they have do not match with the alignment tabs and this makes refitting the front wheel a pig. Also they only included a single pedal washer. Very minor but annoying. [/FONT]

Communicating with Canyon and After Sales Support

[FONT=Verdana]Canyon initially were pretty good to deal with getting back to me regarding queries with within a day or so. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]However when I wrote to them about the minor issues I encountered during installations they were a bit less helpful, and gave me some classic bike industry condescension over the phone—feeding me some nonsense about rotors always being warped… WTF! Basically I got the feeling once the sale was complete they were so fussed. They did have me organise for a local bike shop to try and true the rotor and said they would reimburse for costs. Unfortunately the bike shop wasn’t able to complete true the rotor due to the severity and acuteness of the bend, and when I took this back to Canyon they’ve been really bloody slow in getting back to me with a solution. The seem to be very reticent to honour their obligations to replace parts that were damaged in transit. This is in stark contrast with my dealings with a CRC or Wiggle (or my LBS for that matter).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Also it is worth baring in mind to know that they only ship parts using express DHL which is eye-wateringly expensive and they have any other cheaper forms of shipping available. I asked them to send me a replacement dropout and it was going to cost me $27 shipping on a $30 part (People from Perth also have to pay stupid freight charges on anything from Canyon).Thankfully I have a buddy who is also buying a Canyon so I was able to have her add this to her order before it was shipped out. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Anyways I’m not going to be a completely unreasonable bastard and jump up and down about my consumer rights but I do think that when you drop over $4k on a bike you think they could helpful in sorting a bent rotor and maybe spec wheels with end caps designed to fit the fork. Like I say minor gripes in an otherwise flawless build which was so cheap for what it was—so yeah, on balance I can’t really be too salty about it. [/FONT]
EDIT: Since writing this Canyon has been back in touch to say that they will reimburse me for the cost of the rotor which I am to purchase locally and the labour costs for attempting straighten the bent one. So clearly my perception of their unhelpfulness was unfounded. So I’m happy to say that they’re not being dicks about it at all, just a bit tardy in responding. Moral of the story, patience is a virtue :slight_smile:

[FONT=Verdana]
I had been forewarned by another forum member also based here in NZ, who said that if you go with Canyon you should expect much in the way of after sales support. His advice to me is that a Canyon will only really suit for someone who is pretty self-sufficient and comfortable doing most aspects of their bike maintenance themselves. I think this is bang on the money. Anyway I hope this is interesting for some of you guys. I guess it’s always good to get a review of something like a Canyon bike by someone who is not industry affiliated.[/FONT]

I’ll write a ride report soon. I haven’t ridden it enough to get a true sense of how it does but my initial feelings are very positive. Damn near silent on the trail with a DT Swiss hub. Predictable and stable at speed, and good in the air. Suspension still need some dialing in as it feels too linear. But yep it’s a fun one to ride all right!

[FONT=arial]So having ridden the Strive for the past month I now feel adequately informed to make comment on the bikes performance, and the performance of some of the key components on the bike – namely the X01 Eagle drivetrain, Rockshox Lyrik, [/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Monarch Plus RC3 and the proprietary Canyon Shapeshifter air piston.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]All in all I’m pretty stoked with how the bike rides. It’s super capable – stable at speed and predicable in the air. The geometry in DH mode feels bang on for ripping downhill, which is really the only reason why you’d consider buying a bike like this. Coming off my old 26" Tracer adjusting to the new bike was easy. The major difference in feel comes from the lower bottom bracket, which has the positive of feeling very planted but has required me be more conscious of keeping my feet up and not pedalling through rough stuff as much (have had a couple of decent diggers from catching pedals on stumps etc). One thing that I really love about this bike is it runs so quiet, with practically no free hub buzz from the DT Swiss wheels and only a small amount of chain clatter through the rough stuff.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Suspension[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Tuning the suspension has taken a bit of work and I’m still entirely satisfied with my setup. Both the fork and shock felt too linear out of the box – wallowing in the mid stroke and blowing through the travel too easily. The fork was a pretty easy fix by adding the two additional tokens supplied by Canyon. (And I have also bought a Vorsprung Luftkappe which I will fit soon, to improve the initial stroke sensitivity; the Lyrik does feel a bit wooden coming off a fork as plush as the BOS Deville.) The shock is trickier to tune because compression adjustment is limited to a preset 3-position lever. Like the fork. I feel it will too benefit from adding some volume spacers, as I presently need to run too much air to stop it blowing through the travel; I say too much air as it’s a bit skittish and doesn’t track the ground quite as well with the extra 25psi required. At present the bike feels a bit too much like a bulldozer and I want something which is a tad more poppy and playful. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Shapeshifter[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]So from the outset the idea of the Shapeshifter is something about the Strive which I was never really sold on. It seemed like a bit of a gimmick and an added complication to an otherwise good bike. In fact the only reason for why I considered the bike was the knowledge that an aftermarket component was available to swap it out if it proved to be a issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]For the first of couple of weeks I rode the bike with the Shapeshifter and used it as intended – flicking between modes climbing and descending. The Shapeshifter changes the leverage ratio of the shock, meaning that in XC mode you could comfortably climb out of the saddle with minimal pedal bob; whereas in the DH mode pedal bob is quite noticeable. It was something that I was pleasantly surprised by and while changing between the modes was a bit awkward it seemed like a good feature. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Unfortunately after only riding the bike for a week the bike developed a noticeable clunk in mid travel when the Shapeshifter was in DH mode. To be honest was more distracting than a serious issue; nevertheless I swapped the Shapeshifter out for a Bikeyoke Modefixxer, which has two fixed settings – DH and trail. No more mid travel clunk and one less lever on my handlebars. Okay so it’s not quite as adroit a climber as before but I’m fine with that. My feelings about this is that is a novel solution, which if you have a perfectly functioning, maintenance-free air piston then it could be ok but air systems are seldom perfect, and besides my ideal bike is set and forget, with the only on the fly adjustments I want to consider are my gears and seat height.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]So far I’ve only used the Modefixxer in the DH mode but am planning to start riding it in the trail position as it changes the anti-squat so it should be a bit more poppy and sit higher in its travel.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Eagle[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]What can I say about Eagle other than it has great smooth shifting the through all gears and as the 50T is as thick as a chainring I don’t have to nurse it into the bike ring of or fear of bending it (unlike the 10 speed wide range cassettes I’m used to). Im yet to ride the bike in terrible slop so can’t comment about its shifting in sub optimal conditions. I have had one issue with it where the inner cage broke at the upper jockey wheel which resulted in the upper jockey wheel blowing itself apart and meant walking out of the trail. This may be an fault with some Eagle X01 derailleurs as a friend had the very same issue with another brand new bike, unfortunately it ended his 2W enduro race. I was lucky enough for this to happy to me the week before.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
Conclusion

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]So yep, pretty stoked on the Strive. Can’t really fault any of the spec, from top to bottom it’s really good. Canyon have been good to deal with and helpful in dealing with minor warranty issues; my only criticism of them is that they are a bit tardy in responding to correspondence, and their expensive and inflexible shipping policies.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Anyway I hope this is an informative and interesting read to anyone considering buying a Canyon, or any other new full suspension MTB for that matter. [/FONT]

Thanks mate, it really was informative and interesting :slight_smile:

Yep, this was great reading.

If I rode my banshee more I’d do something similar.

My pleasure dudes :slight_smile:

Given the way Canyon are splashing money around in elite CX I suspect there might be a few on startlines down this end of the world this year.

Not so much from the sponsored rider perspective… more from the #fanz (or dollar conscious)

Time for an update.

In the past few months the bike’s seen a bit of action. It’s ridden the wettest, muddiest race of my life with the December 2W in Rotorua. This was totally brutal, less racing than surviving. (It was so muddy that there was mud everywhere, there was even mud inside the freehub body. Unreal. I also wore the rear pads down to the backplates!) Since then I’ve spent a solid week of riding the TransNZ Enduro, from Craigeburn to Queenstown—chasing the fast boys and gals. And lots of riding in Rotorua in between.

Before Trans I fitted a Luftkappe to the fork’s air spring and it has made it a much more supple off the top (as it increases the negative air volume). Riding much nicer, even with more air in the fork. (I think that RS has adopted this modification, or rather a variation of, for their new RC2 Lyrik.) I still think I might revalve it with a Andreani High Flow Piston Kit which would allow for more range on the LS compression dampening, as I can’t run any at the air pressure I prefer.

So as for the rest of the bike and how its holding up. It’s been fine. The bike gets creaky quickly, probably because it’s seen a lot of riding in wet conditions. I’ve had to pull it apart on a monthly basis. This is okay, as bike is well designed but the build quality and finishing of the frame isn’t great (and reflects its lower price); for instance there was a weld at the lower pivot which sat proud of the bearings and once I filed this flush the bike has been a fair bit quieter. Little things like this, or the rear swing arm bearings sitting out of alignment are annoyances. The lower bearings are already shot, so I have some Enduro Max bearings are presently on order and will be fitted when they arrive. Hopefully these have better durability.

The biggest letdown with the bike so far has been the drivetrain. Eagle was a nightmare down south. The combination of its too-soft clutch (the non-adjustable type 3 clutch), the long chain and a chainring which after 500kms was too worn to still offer effective chain retention, meant that my riding was plagued with chain drops and jockey wheel jams, and then on the last day it did as plenty of other riders completely gave up and I tore the mech cage inner plate off again at the upper jockey wheel. This was th second time this has happened to me, and it also happened to three other riders on Trans. One rider did this to two derailleurs on two consecutive days! Of all the drivetrain woes that I knew about it was either punters running flogged 10 speed stuff or Eagle which was a month or two old. Not a great advertisement for Eagle.

I would go as far to say that as a drivetrain it really poorly suited to hard enduro riding. Unless you intend to also run a full chainguide with lower chain retention, I wouldn’t recommend it. And one thing which is a real pain in the arse with the Canyon Strive is that contrary to some online reviews that the frame does not have the standard ISCG-05 guide tabs but rather something called ‘Hammerschimdt’. Dunno what they were thinking here.

This week I removed the X01 Eagle and replaced it with a 11sp Sramano setup (XTR Shifter, XT mech, Sram GX block, X1 chain and DMR chainring). First ride was yesterday and it did not disappoint. Shifting was light, quiet and crisp. Running noticeably quieter on the trail with way less chainslap from the shorter chain and cage, and stiffer clutch (which I might add adjustable, unlike the Eagle). The Shimano mech is also way more svelt and out of the way than the sram. Which is reassuring when running through trails like Rocky Horror and the wet racing in Rotorua which is ‘trenchy’.

Yeah, I’m not sure how long I’ll keep the Strive. It’s totally competent and since removing the Shapeshifter it’s been a good set and forget rig. Have been toying with the idea of swapping it for an Alu Transition Patrol but I can’t see the differences between the two frames being compelling enough to justify the additional expense. I might just fit an angleset to slack it out a degree and save my pennies for a Zerode Taniwha.

One last thing I should add. My experience with Canyon hasn’t been great and I can’t recommend buying from them. They’ve little interest in maintaining customer goodwill, tardy in responding to emails and only honour their warranty obligations when you make a song and dance. Getting aftersale parts from them is insane expensive as they will only ship to NZ via DHL ($40-80 a pop). And more alarmingly they do rubbish like specing a GX chain on what is advertised as being supplied with an X01 one. They then try to justify it by calling it a ‘technical modification’, whereas its blatant downspecing to save pennies and is illegal (at least it is in NZ). Not cool. Okay I’m pretty fastidious and also hard on my gear but you’d expect that when you’re talking about enduro bikes. The direct sales model seems good in principle but it relies heavily on the company doing right by its customers.

Good ongoing feedback! Happy that I swayed against the Canyon for my new MTB.