Canberra MTB meet ups

Just starting this up just to see if there is any interest out there for the dirty stuff.

Keith and I are heading out to Stromlo this saturday morning at 8am for a zip around. Keith will be on his fat bike, me on my single speed. We will just be taking it easy I would say.

Plus we will be trying to organise some other stuff during this year I hope. Some overnighters and longer rides etc.

These guys and girls will probably be a great place to ask as well

No duoclassic, ezy? I am out there at sparrow tomorrow morn. Interested to hear about overnighters! Especially midweek stuff.

I’m down. Moving up on the 9th of Feb, got my uni/accom offers on wednesday night.
Don’t have a mountain bike yet but keen to locate one, do have some bikepacking and touring gear though so definitely keen on an overnighter. Does anyone have a bike they could loan me for the weekend that I get there? I’m keen to ride but might only have a bmx/roadie.

No Duo JP - Still too early for me to be riding competitively after the time off the bike. It was a chilled session this morning out at Stromlo with Keith and Steve.

Welcome to Canberra Aeons! I only have one working MTB at the moment that is good for XC stuff so I can’t help you out there.

When do you guys think would be a good time for an overnighter? Happy to hear thoughts for locations as well. Midweek is going to be hard for me - I’m a 5 day a week, 9-5er.

One ride I am keen on doing is Mt Franklin, I would love a guide for that.

Ah, 9-5 is still fine for a bit o overnight action! 2 hours into the hills, eat, drink, chatter, sleep, 2 hours back in the morn, roll into work feeling like a champ.

Mt Franklin is a nice spot… Are you thinking of going via condor and picadilly (on the road)? or some more adventurous route?

Aeons, I also have only one working MTB, so am unable to help out.

Duo was a good time! I cant believe I haven’t been out there more often… trails remind me a lot of what Majura used to be :frowning:
but :slight_smile:

I have no idea about the Mt Franklin area. All I know is I haven’t done it and feel as though I am missing out on a fairly iconic ride in my home area.
You seem to be in the know of overnighters, again this is new to me but if you feel we can do it mid week then we should give it a try. What sort of areas are good for it? Namadgi?

Sorry to be so vague - but I don’t actually know where the duo was held. I am guessing Kowen?

Sat evening to Tuesday night is great for any adventures for me.

Yep, Kowen and Sparrow. I hadnt been since they put the highway through and the tunnel under.

Franklin is a nice straightforward ride on sealed then dirt roads, but is prob a bit too much to bite off on a weeknight.

Lets get a weeknight thing happening, then! Good warm up for franklin, and nice to test out kit. Anyone have a place they’d like to hit? Namadgi is def an option… Just need to find a nice quiet way to get to and from. I am assuming we are talking about using bikes capable of dirt roads and maybe a bit rougher?

MTB-smoque collabo #notbeachroad

When are we good to go?! Who is in!?

I may even be a possibility this sunday (14th July), leave Canberra around 1pm, ride from 1:40 to 5, hit smoque whenever they open.

To be confirmed with boss if there are others who can make it. Even one other would be enough :slight_smile:

JP! This might help :wink:

Sunday Closed
Monday 12:00-2:30 pm, 5:00-11:30 pm
Tuesday 12:00-2:30 pm, 5:00-11:30 pm
Wednesday 12:00-2:30 pm, 5:00-11:30 pm
Thursday 12:00-2:30 pm, 5:00-11:30 pm
Friday 12:00-11:30 pm
Saturday 12:00-11:30 pm

Also - I am playing hockey this sunday at 12.15-1.30.

haha! geez whizz. Internet knows all.

This satdy is out for me, birthday celebrations. I can go during week with lights anytime (bruce after work, roll into civic) but others may not have the required lumens, next weekend is out, as is every weekend until 17th August.

buggah.

Could be a summer deal.

Aeons and I are going MTBing on Saturday around 11am. Location TBC but most probably close to town, so Bruce ridge and/or Majura. Who wants to come?

Paging Ezylee and others: Black Mountain ride this Sunday. Meet at 9:30 at Fenner Hall carpark, corner of Northbourne and Ipima.

Can we make it 8:30 or even 9? Will be a good mix of bikes! (V-brake vintageish mtb, fat bike, SS 29er rigid…)
P.S. it doesn’t have to be black mountain, it’ll probably start there and cross over to Bruce ridge. Open to suggestions!

Sorry 9:30 is about the earliest I can do because of kids.
I like the start at Black and ride to Bruce. There’s a trail that crosses between them at Barry Drive

Black Mountain is all fire road - I would highly recommend against riding on the walking tracks.

I play Ice Hockey at 11.00 on Sunday and will need to be at the rink at 10.00 for warmup. So I will probably have to skip the ride.

I will be aiming to ride Stromlo on Saturday though.

Can I come? I have never ridden there and am keen.

Me too. I’m free between 11-2.