choosing road hubs

one of the BNE couriers has worn out two H+PLUS++SONS+++ rims in as many years, rides fixed with a front brake, it makes me think twice about using h+sonsplus rims, but then i’d probably not get anywhere near the mileage on them that he has put on his

+1.

Excellent post.

Especially well phrased bit about more spokes making re-truing easier/more successful.

Thanks for that spirito,
The thing that had me think of comfort is every one keeps saying just get 28’s and run 60psi.
Hell I can barely squeeze a 25 in any of my frames so I have to run 23’s.
So I guess I’ll go 28/32 hopes to belgiums with most likely cx rays.
I’ve had them on my last two hand built a and been happy.
Plus I like the fack you can hold them and not worry about wind up while building/truing.

Has any one here used the similar pillar spokes?

Good post spirito.

If you could afford it you’d use CX Ray’s/Aerolite on every wheel. Competition will do for the plebs like me.

Just decide on something you’re gonna be happy to ride for a long time then put up the cash for cx-rays. Works for me: I reckon I’ll be keeping these wheels through a couple of rim replacements then passing them on to my son when I get my zimmer frame. Might even repack the bearings at some point.

^i got my set of OPCD-Record-CX rays built by starbike, cost $620 and they did a feckin nice job. would buy again.

CX Ray- what price are we talking per spoke, like 5-6 dollars ea??

Under 3. More like $2.50-2.60 depending on exchange rate. Starbike is your friend in this. I ordered about 70 spokes and a tool for holding bladed spokes, plus shipping, and it came to under $200. Well worth it.

shipping can be a bit naff at times though, so don’t order if you’re in a hurry. my wheelset took 5 weeks.

Is the plan…

I understand you completely about hearing all the “go wider” suggestions when you don’t have room. If you do get Belgium’s then the wider rim with 23’s (especially Vittoria’s and the such you like as discussed on another thread) will feel like a little fuller, rounder and a little more supple. Play around with pressures till you find that sweet spot. The ride combo will be fine - trust me on this. 28/32 for your weight with those rims would be perfect for a high mile wheelset. The Belgium’s are lovely rims, really well finished and supply is more readily available. CX Ray’s are nice, I like them a lot but good old double butted would also work fine for this planned build and keep the $'s down. Ideally build them yourself or by someone who loves wheels and is local to you - that always works best :wink:

I’ll happily transfer warranty to him if this happens. Such a feels-good idea … “Son, I’ve had these wheels and they’ve served me well … now they are yours and I’d like you to look after them and do lots of miles too”.

Just made my day thinking about how rad this would be :wink:

Scott I know it’s probably last on your list of priorities now, but I have some sram al30 race wheels I am selling for really cheap. Msg me if you’re keen on them.