Chronicles of a MTB noob

advice noted, ill have a crack setting it up with the XTR and XT bits once i can nail down (afford) a wheelset

in the meantime im gonna set up the KHS as an SS to fuck around on, see if ill actually take to MTB before spending anymore on the cannondale, will also try the disc adapter on it.

Setting up the KHS as a single speed i encountered some new problems, mtb cranks. I wasnt keen on spending more than what i spent on the bike, so thought id make do.

Never dealt with mtb cranks before so took me a while to figure it out. Once i figured how to take the chainrings off i noticed they seem to be all riveted together with an allenkey head?? couldnt figure it out, so i gave up and just grinded the rivets off. Lost the smallest chainring but saved the middle and big.

Installing the middle ring i realised id also need a spacer as the lockring wouldnt touch the chainring because the crank inner had a lip. Parts bin found me an old bb lockring that actually fit perfect, score!

SS crankset done

pic of the bb lockring under the crank lockring

32t…no idea what ratio i should be running, i think the only freewheel i have is 16t

32/16 is a good gear for mtbs around Brisbane on a 26 inch.
It should be a start for you.

just need to cable up the brakes and some tweaks. a slightly bigger freewheel might help with the magic gearing a little more.

Looking good, I’ve been kicking finding it on both bikes, 34:18 on the 26" and 34:20 on the 29er.

I’ve got a 17t you can have if you want. If you have a 16 on the rear now maybe that extra tooth may be the magic you need to get rid of that slack chain :smiley:

Ps flip that stem :wink:

haha will flip will flip! cheers for the offer, i actually think thats a 17t on their now, need to go tad bigger.

Nice! It would be sad to see it go. If it was good enough for cuddles…

also this should be good inspiration:-

i wont lie, there were a few moments of buyers remorse!

dont think i need much more inspiration when it comes to dales!

i’d start with that stem zactly where it is, a little drop. See stars n stripes 'dale for bike with less drop than the current stem situation on the khs.

Flipping would be massive drop, and combined with anything other than world cup XC speed would scream “Lets replicate my road position on the mtb so i can maintain my Retul verified 232w aerobic threshold”, eventhough I’m sure you are not that kind of guy.

Yeah, i havnt actually set the seat height either so i dont think the drop will be that high.

Will definitely use it as starting point and flip stem if need be

This just popped up on GT, for $25 i think ill have a crack.

They seller says they are Alienation PBR 26" mtb rims

a quick google and they look like dirt jumping wheels, so maybe on the heavy and robust side, which im fine with.

not sure what the hub spacing will be, but hopefully i can deal with it later

They’re MTB, so 100mm fronts and 135mm rears.

sweet, dont know much about alienation, or let alone the 15mm fronts in particular. i know theres conversion/apaters between the 9 and 15mm axles but thats about it.

fingers crossed.

Alienation seem to be decent in bmx rims. That seems a good buy, no idea what those hubs are.

few reviews ive read seem to be decent, hubs seem also to be alienation, but not sure which model.

just waiting on the guy to confirm pick up

I got some for my ht ss build $27 for Mavic spacer and axle from mountain bikes direct

Sold some bits from my GT haul, budget is back down to $200/500

Finally cabled up, will have a bit of play at some nearby trails, see if i like it. Then probably flip this and use the cash for some decent wheels and build up the cannondale.

Sold off the KHS for $50, used the $50 to buy some wheels, just some entry level bontrager rangers. Will do for now