Ciggies for Dylan

nice shots of handsome people having fun!

what are you shooting with?

Really nice shots, Spirito. It was also very nice to meet you (albeit very briefly) on the day.

I second icecream, what were you shooting with? I noticed it as something small. I’ve been looking at something smaller to carry around as I get a bit sick of lugging around my film SLR or DSLR all the time.

OT, but my gf, and a few guys over here use Sony NEX-5’s as a compact option. I reckon they are bloody fantastic!!

On Topic, I agree with Brendan! Enjoy seeing your threads like this, adds a bit more feel and story to it all rather than just a ‘hey here’s some pics from the roobarb’. great stuff and can’t wait to get over there and ride it next year (hopefully)

We could have been BFF given it was a long wait :wink:

You came out great … me not so much :wink:

Zoltan, you’re a very handsome fella and one of the most photogenic people I’ve come across. If anyone takes a bad picture of you then they’re hopeless with a camera (just sayyin’). That bad part means that every time we meet I’ll be looking to take more pics of you and that gets annoying (ask Mrs. Spirito).

Hope you don’t mind me posting another one :wink:

Thanks guys. Re: Camera’s. I’m mostly used a Panasonic GF1 (micro 4/3 format) with a fixed (40mm equiv. in 35mm) focal length as well as a tiny Panasonic LX3 in a few of the shots. Both are a few years old but pack punch for their size + cheap (ebay etc).

The little LX3 is now updated by the LX5 and makes a very handy (jersey pocket size) all rounder. Fast lens, wide zoom, very handy.

The GF1 really is something I’m enjoying using and am getting the hang of. I sold all my film gear and couldn’t be happier. I did have some high zoot lenses that I was using with adapters but have recently sold them all to use the native Panasonic and Olympus fixed focal length lenses. The optics are truly superbe and this is coming from a former Leica/Hasselblad snob. Of course there are some limitations and they’re not for everyone but I like smaller camera’s and have found a happy medium.

Yes, the Sony Nex series are also awesome as is the newest Olympus E-M5 (which I drool over) but I like using stuff that is cheap because it’s a few years old and people are selling them to upgrade for new stuff. Not that there’s anything wrong with the zoom lenses but it’s the prime/fixed length lenses where the magic happens and what I’d recommend buying.

I haven’t even started using the video capabilities of the GF1 for which its famed for (one day). I always lag behind the pack and these camera’s have so much functionality compared to my old film stuff. Camera’s are tools and I like to keep it simple (and cheap).

USER REPORT: The Panasonic GF1 – A Landmark Camera by KJ Vogelius | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
Micro Four Thirds User Forum

Haha, that’s cool.

There’s the handsome John Kennedy in the background, and our friend Nicole.

That’s really reassuring to hear. The GF-1 was pretty high on my list of considerations. Thanks for that Spirito!

They’re a lot of fun. Do some hunting on which GF1’s are hackable for even higher res. video (if you’re into that). Also consider the Olympus E-P2 or even the E-P3, simply because the optional electronic viewfinder is brilliant and a class above that of the Panasonic version. Admittedly, the GF1 has simpler menu’s, is easier to access some of the controls and is easier to get used to using. + right now they’re pretty cheap.

Both use the same lenses for which there are quite a good selection to choose from. You can use a massive variety of 3rd party lenses with them too but I found the native lenses stunning by comparison.
Native Lens Sample Image Archive - Micro Four Thirds User Forum
Native Lenses - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

Most importantly, see if you can borrow or get one in your hands to try out/get a feel for. Can’t stress how important it is for any camera to feel right in terms of handling. Megapixels, features, price etc are all secondary to whether a camera feels right and is intuitive to use. Luckily these are fairly inexpensive and easy to try out compared to SLR formats.

Very nice work! I love it how the Roobaix can be experienced in so many different ways…

I saw some kid in Canberra with one of the Roobaix Musettes this morning, made me pine for next year

the gf1 + 20mm is an awesome setup. i actually tried to buy the gf1, but ended up with the nex-5, which i love, but it doesn’t have any great native lenses.

OH DUDE! haha we had so much fun.
New fb profile pics I think, I really enjoyed just rolling around between cafe’s with yourself and the most elite of the forum.
And thankyou for the cigarettes!

This is awesome. You guys are awesome. I am thirsty for beer.

Nice photos spirito. I am smack in the middle of one of these with a dafrog owl hat. Realised I was sitting behind Dylan and Breakfree, pleasure to meet you boys

I suggest name tags for next year :wink:

foa mafia nametags…Hello my name is … Its been … days/hours since my last post.

It would only be right to swap them around though, just to keep a little subterfuge and guessing.