Clutched CX setups

from OHH’s favourite WW blog:

CX1

Force with just gearing on the right side. 119g for the left lever, 158g for the right one. Right is exactly the same as Force 22. And then a Force crankset with carbon fibre arm and a spider for a single ring with a bcd of 110mm. Cx1 chainrings available in 38, 40, 42, 44 and 46. A 42t is 75g.

No XD Driver. Sweet!

Question about the 110BCD Force chainrings- can you mount these onto any standard 110BCD road crank?? The SRAM XX1 chainrings do have special threaded bolt holes…

Given it’s a regular force22 crankset, I’m going to guess that you can. Unless they are threaded and similar to XX1 / Red 2013 and are M8.5x0.75 not M8x0.75

Ask slinky.

Or just buy a raceface/wolftooth 110 ring instead.

It’s just a Force crank.

looks like bolt and nut on these pics… I’m assuming XX1 uses no nut if it has threaded rings? But i dont care either way… good reason to look at these pics, eh?

The Ultimate Cyclocross Commuter? Eriksen’s Titanium Disc Brake Dyno CX – NAHBS 2014 | Cyclocross Magazine – Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

Is this done to create a ‘closed system’? Fuckers.

Aren’t Campag 110’s like this too. I remember had to file out the hole on a leftover ring I had to make a custom chainguard for my 1x10 Crosscheck a while back.

offset 5th hole for campy CT.

Thread dredge - some feedback and clarification re SRAM X7 vs X9.

Okay. So I bought a X7 thinking that it was gonna be as good as the X9, just with a finish that was not as slick. I’ve run it for a year now and to be honest I wasn’t all that happy with it and have since replaced it with an X9, like what have on my other bikes.

The differences:

• outer parrallelogram components are beadblasted on X7 vs polished on X9
  • inner parallelogram plate is pressed steel on the X7 while it is forged aluminium on the X9
  • limit screws have phillips heads on the X7 vs 3mm hex on the X9
  • has noticeable lateral play at the upper knuckle on the X7 were there isn’t on the X9
  • both X7 and X9 type2 RDs have alloy outer cages NOT carbon as is suggested above.
  • I haven’t weighed the two but I would imagine the X9 is a fractional lighter (considering the alloy vs steel back plate).

The phillips head limit screws on the X7 really suck for doing fine adjustments. And i have found that the clutch mechanism is just better at reducing chain slap on the X9 (even after manual adjustments to the clutch spring tension) - why exactly, dunno.

My prognosis - X7 works fine but the X9 is better. IMHO the extra $20 for X9 is money well spent.

OR another thing that people could consider if they are looking at going down this path is running a CX1/Force1 or the new Rival1 RD, as its compatible with 10-speed doubletap shifters as well as 11-speed, and can also handle wide range cassette.
It has the newer 2.1 pinned clutch and a built-in barrel adjuster.
more here: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/does-sram-cx1-work-with-10-speed-shifters-42325/

Thanks for the compare-o. Was thinking about diving into this pretty soon