Clutched CX setups

Blakey, Meant to post this a couple of days ago.
Thought you might be interested to see the new DH specific X01 - which is, quite impressively, only 7-speed. I’m imagining the CX11 RD will not be too different to this with different indexing.

SRAM release XO1 DH-specific drivetrain | Spoke Magazine

I was going to too, but then I CBF as it leant more towards DHbroing :wink:

Still uses the xd driver too I see.

Integrated pie plate!

I know… I reckon its pretty cool actually.

But on the topic of CX. I wonder if they might try selling 8 speed for CX, considering the gear gets such a hammering… and cos Shimergo… Nah scrap that, racers will be demanding more cogs cos fewer teeth jumps. …Hmmm.

Look at all spare room!

A lot of dh guys I know have been running 5-8 speed setups with frankencassettes for years. A few running them on the hope SS/trials hub rear hubs (shortened cassette body) cause more engagement points/ more even spoke tension.

Reuben who occasionally posts here runs a 7spd setup on a Hope SS hub on his XC rig which was originally SS. Definitely not a wide range, but a good hack to fit gears onto his rig.

I’m now on the lookout for a decent quality clutched sram rear der. its time to get with the upgrade program for the jamis again…

SRAM X9 medium cage (maybe short)? Type 2. (your SRAM aye?)

I think its kinda dumb, cos ‘cassette’ is the same as XX1 so you need special wheels, and you need a 10spd chain, it all cost heaps. $303 for a cassette, mech $277! and its DH so prob get screwed fast.

Would have been cool if the 7spd ‘cassette’ was spaced like a 8/9spd, and normal cassette body style, cheaper, more tolerance for mech/hangar to be out a bit etc. but till used clutched mech.

guy at work who was/is a DH racer wasn’t that impressed. - and when he mentioned the rate they go thru gear (i.e take 4 sets of wheels to a race) you’d think what Lorday said would be better.

That’s what you want. Short cage is for 1x only according to sram, but it will just work with an 11-28 + 36/46 double. just. They all have the 36T max rear sprocket capability, so the upper jockey’s going to be a ways away at the low end, even with the B screw backed way out.

X7 for cheaper/less sads when you crash it, X0 for balleur.

Actually, the X7 is not only cheaper than the X9, but it’s lighter too, almost as light as the X0, due to the carbon cage.

yeah, that’s the thing, it’s not “7/8 speed”, (that said, modern 10sp chains are stronger, just not as wear resistant), it’s 10 speed, truncated.

If you’re not paying for your own gear, go for it.

Chainless!

The X7 type2 is exactly the same as the X9 Type2 but it has an alloy cage and a different finish.

If I was building a CX bike for cross racing and smashing it around urban trails I’d be going 1x10 all the way.

38T wolftooth profiled ring, 11-28T and short cage X7 type2. BRAAAP!!

EDIT: finding a short cage X7 in Type2 is tricky. According to SRAMs website they are being produced but I have never see sell on online shops or eBay. Might have to wait until some cheaper DH bikes start spec’ing them before they start showing up around the place.

According to SRAM and the online sellers, the x7 has a carbon cage compared to the alloy cage on the x9. Lighter and cheaper (also, unverified)

Right you are. My standard X9 has the carbon cage and my X9 Type2 has an alloy cage (I thought this was just cos it was the long cage version, obviously not).

X7 = absolute no brainer.

Go to the usual news sites for pics and stuff - it’s been revealed as CX1 and it’s Force-level. Just a mechanical braking option for the moment, I’d assume due to the recall on the hydro stuff.

Kinda thinking of going 1x9 on my CX bike… Tiagra FD has always been a bit of a pill to keep in tune.

Yeah, photos be everywhere.

Expect to see it on NAHBS bikes in a couple of days:

I ran this X9 setup with Rival shifters last season:

12-34 on the back, 46/34 on the front. Works well for both touring and CX. Guess I could drop the 46 ring off and remove the FD if I was truly weight weenie for a CX race, but it’s not like I’m at the pointy end of any race (well maybe the rear point) so it stays on.

Man, that is a fugly chainring.

And what one weird build Blakey. Why would you need a clutch on a super commuter? Monster potholes, doing Sagan-esque kerb hops?

//youtu.be/cDGlN6mluGA

You should see Boyracer on the Specialized Red Pig commuter - he needs this setup.
More unnecessary kerb hopping and cross park racing than I’ve ever seen.

I reckon the crank and chainring is best looking bit