Cousin Balki's Melbourne Rant Thread.

May be BOM should start a forecast on their accuracy of their forecasts.

whereā€™s duggan to defend the mighty BOM?!

Blame the insurance companies, the ambulance-chasing lawyers, and the ā€œSomething terrible happened to me and it must be someone elses faultā€ mentality.

The poor old BOM donā€™t have much choice. The average Joe (not us urban sophisticates obviously) dont understand probability. So, to protect their own arses, the BOM is required to give warnings. They did include probabilities in there, but that didnā€™t make it to the headlines.

Back in 2011, just before the Grantham floods, all the warning systems went off, the guys monitoring the flood gauges refused to believe it, they thought it just could not be possible, so no warnings were given, lots of people died. So now the BOM figure that a false positive is better than a false negative, so the threshhold for warnings is lower.

If only the media took the same notice of equally probable climate change predictions as they do of weather change predictions. Funny how they shout one from the rooftops and whisper the other in the basement.

Iā€™m with Lovelock on this, in about 100 years Australia will be uninhabitable, the human race will be down to a few million living in the tropics of Siberia, Alaska and Antarctica. The oceans will be acidic, devoid of skeletal fish and fulll of jellyfish. every coral reef will be dead.

So if youā€™re in Melbourne, look out the window and learn to enjoy the warm tropical rain because it is your future.

Never mind all that.
I wasted over an hour on the roof Thursday evening cleaning out the gutters for nothing!

We had new gutters installed on Monday and Tuesday, didnā€™t even need to think about cleaning them!!

I spent last Saturady arvo bailing 2 inches water out of a balcony. My ex bought this unit for the daughter without a building inspection. The units were built less than 10 years ago and the developer has gone bankrupt. They built these balconies like swimming pools. There is nowhere for the water to drain. The air-con compressor just drips down onto the tiles and the water stays there. I took my neighbour, a licensed roofing plumber, around for a quote. He couldnā€™t believe the number of breaches of building codes.

Moral of the story is always get a building inspection before purchase, especially if it has been built in the last 20 years, after Jeff Kennett privatised the building inpection process that allows corrupt and incompetent liars to sign off on any bloody thing. If youā€™re going to buy a unit, buy in a block that was built when the local city council did the inspections and if youā€™re getting something built then see if you can insist on an independent inspector, rather then the builders mate.

Wow:

^ I know itā€™s wrong butā€¦tee hee

The woman, who was on her way to collect her mother from hospital

Suuuuure you were.

Bit of a dick move, but Iā€™m sure there was an equally dickish move which preceded this.

I seldom read anything from The Age, but do they usually portray the motorist as the poor innocent victim and the cyclist as the meth dealing criminal?

Yeah, methinks thereā€™s some shenanigans afoot there.

Canā€™t be throwing keys, fuck that bloke

I hate getting buzzed or subjected to ā€œpunishment passesā€ and part of me wants them to stop driving so we can discuss or argue about it. Sometimes I get fired up, sometimes a lot. However Steph always reminds me that de-escalation is the way to go. Throwing the keys away may have felt good at the time, particularly if the red mist was present, however I donā€™t think it helps anyone in the long run.

Dick move - I put it at the same deplorable level as a punishment pass

Iā€™ve been tempted to do it.
I almost kicked a dog yesterday. After being pissed off at four separate dog owners in one hour of commuting who had their dogs off the leash on the path, this little mutt chased me and was threatening to bite my legs.

fuck kicking dogs too.

best thing iā€™ve seen at my local park is a dog on a leash chasing birdsā€¦while the owner was having a piss in the toilet block some 200 meters away!

It was chasing me and coming awfully close to biting me numerous time. Like hell Iā€™m going to let it do that while its owner stands there like a complete f*ckwit.

just kick the owner

100% with not letting dogs having a go at you, whether it requires kicking, slapping, dismembering etc

deal with the owner aferwards

still traumatised from dugganā€™s wedding, clearly.

werenā€™t ppl all for Fyxo dropping some blokes keys down a drain many years agoā€¦? whatā€™s the difference between that situation & this one?