Creaky SRAM Omniums!?

Hi, any advice will be appreciated.

What’s up with these things?

Had them installed (by a qualified mechanic at my LBS) for just a few weeks. I’ve run square tapers and splined cranks in the past, these are a new experience for me. In the last week or so they’ve adopted a nerve-racking short yet fairly loud creaking sound during launch and heavy resist, often during skid. I’m under the impression through internet murmurs that this is a common problem with the standard GXP BB that is issued with the cranks. Is this the case? If so I’m getting some Chris King’s for my fixie! Weeeeeeeee!!!

Many thanks in advance.

Pull crank arms off, remove dustcaps and clean all the grit grime and factory grease off of caps and outer surface of bearing race, DO NOT regrease, put caps back on, arms on and bobs ur uncle.

While ur down there do the chainring bolts too, from memory mine had no grease on there from factory. Just oull them out and replace one at a time so u dont have to fart around realigning and shit. Pull out, small bit of grease on threads, small bit of grease on surfaces, then replace… Bob is ur uncle again

Two uncle’s named bob! What are the chances :stuck_out_tongue:

Believe Red. He’s had heaps of experience with Omniums.

What pedals are you running? I thought I had creaky Omniums too until I realised it was my Keo Blades.

I’ll start with this as it’s nearer my skill level as a home mechanic. It also sounds about right as it’s coming from the drive side, something I probably should have mentioned…

I’m running platforms with FRS. Probably not the most sophisticated I know, but I love it.

Thanks all! Honourable mentions to Red.

I’ll update thread with my findings.

I had the same issue with omniums a few years ago. Was the chainring bolts.

omniums have self extractin crank arm, they are the easiest (one of the reasons i bought) cranks to pull off/clean/all that jazz. i assume you have an 8mm(i think) allen key right? you will then need the 5 and 4mm(i think again) to do the omnium crank bolts, and thats all you need to do what i have mentioned.

Yep.

I thought I had the dreaded campy power-torque click/creak…

Was my Keo Max 2’s. Creaky as shit.

But yes, omnomnoms are some of the easiest cranks to un/install so have a crack!!!

chainring bolts. locktite.

BB shell faced and chased? Not sure if this will cause creaking but it might, and some say its worthwhile doing to get the most life out of outboard BBs.

Chainring bolts removed, cleared of factory loctite, greased and reinstalled. Took it for a whizz and a slow climb to test it. Super quiet, super stiff. Thanks for your input everyone! Case closed.