Death of the Tubular

Lets be totally honest here…

Already noted :slight_smile:

The only time I’d thought ‘yeah disc brakes would be good right now’ on a ROAD ride was riding in torrential rain.

I can see the appeal of discs (and I kinda want them) for an allrounder cx bike and touring but for an out and out roadie, nah.

Fucking modulation… You can have the back wheel waving in the wind with one finger with DA, campag and even my EE brakes…
How much modulation can the average FRED handle?
I’d say they are Auctally more dangerous used incorrectly too. Go up a real big hill with a steep tech descent and drag the brakes all they way down… You won’t make it too the bottom with out cooking the things…
Switch back hairpin at 50kph and No brakes…
I’ve raced motorbikes before and when you cook your brakes you get nothing when you pull the lever… Nothing at all
End result is going straight through the corner and ending up on your ass…

Fuck road disks!

There was an old man with a beard
A funny old man with a beard
He had a big beard
A great big old beard
That amusing old man with a beard
– John Clarke

Hey! I was referring to nu-freds putting carbon clinchers on their road bikes and then blowing the tyres off on a descent.

Go wild with tubeless setup carbon clinchers on your MTB, fully backed.

the only time anyone really could do with discs is on a 40km alpine descent and/or while riding in pouring rain

Pantene Shampoo - YouTube

I’m sure when Shimano bring out their hydro-brifter it will have the same ‘Ice-Tech’ rotor as their MTB range. Works very well…

I agree to an extent, I would ride carbon clinchers but only from enve,
There new resins are getting good reviews.
They don’t seem to have the problems that themselves and others had of the last few years.

When was the last time you tackled a descent that would proffer any issues for carbon clinchers dude??? There’s next to no hills in SE QLD that are nasty enough to warrant any hesitation

Except the disks will be smaller and dissipate heat less effectively…
In the wet they’d be good for some one who has no idea for sure… That’s a given hence they are a great FRED innovation
But in the dry… Where much higher speeds and heat cycling is occurring maybe not…
Every one says but they are so good on a MTB…
Road bikes aren’t MTBs and down big hills there is a lot more speed involved and much harder braking occurring
It’s going to need a totally different development track to MTBing…

Hahaha says you, how did you go back side of glorious?
But yeah I’ll keep alloy Stan’s for that

Hahaha yeah - that’s the only one though… I’ve done everything else from NSW north coast up that’s big on cheap chinese shitters.

i think i can remember someone cooking both his carbon clincher rims on one descent and being forced to hitchhike back into town…

yeah yeah yeah - that side of glorious is a beast like nothing else round here though. Constant switch back hairpins with consistent 10% drop for 5 minutes with zero spots to let the bike actually roll will tend to do that

I cooked a tubbie KoMing jenolan caves road… 80kph into the first of a set of back to back 15kph hairpins, half of which were wet ( it was the middle of winter) gnarly road… 11-16%, riding up it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.
Boiled the glue around the Valve and deformed the tire a little… Was ridable though just had to take it easy pushing through corners.

So a sort of death of the tubular?

Haha yea ‘death of A tubular’
It had over 5500kms on it thought so it wasn’t a big issue, it was very nearly done

Fuck it all, spin bikes are going to be the next big thing.

Used to work with a guy who, no matter how awesome the weather was, spent every morning virtual racing on his watt bike in the garage. He mentioned he hadn’t turned a wheel on a real bike for number of years