Decisions, desicions - first build

Heard so many people rave about the steam roller but for some reason I think it just looks a tad boring.

Gear Site - Yep
Rear brake not a must - Yep
Everyone here will tell you - OK maybe not but I’m sure this has come up before and “not necessary” was the general consensus from memory. I’m not gonna dig to find it but if you can be bothered and I’m wrong I guess you caught me out lying on the internet for bragging rights. :wink:
Not going over the front - Yep

Peace

I think it’s the balance between looks and function that does it. Boring for some, low profile for others perhaps. I ride Crosscheck myself, but sure would +1 on Steamroller to people just from own research n reputation.

735 for the win.

Fix your computer, the welds are smooth as a good jar of kraft peanut butter and there are no problems with these at all. And the black looks dope.

Brag about your madfixayyyskillzzzzz. not your bike. fuck.

I have the Gear/colossi and it was a great, first ‘decent quality’ bike. Good geo for whatever purpose, comfy as all hell, and has fitting for front and rear brakes. Plus with the money saved, gets you a much nicer set of wheels/drivetrain and parts

Otherwise I love the look of the Leader, but if your knees are giving out at 15kms then track geometry might not be right. In which case the steamroller has a bit slacker geo and so might be more comfortable for riding… I love the practicality and simplicity of them (just don’t ge the poo brown colour)

But is one really better than the other?

@lach
When did you get that dude? is it the vintage styled one or like minee?

You can’t brag about a bike unless you can ride it. Let people hate.

Same frame as yours, but blue with matte forks. It’s wicked.

Buy a clamp on rear brake from track supermarket.

Then half of your ‘cons’ are wiped off.

Also, just get a colossi.

I have the first gear x colossi frame and I can’t fault it. I use to ride it fixed with drops but now it’s a SS with wide town bars/basket setup for everyday riding, such a comfy bike!

I would definitely recommend a Colossi!

Get a fixie

srsly. doesn’t really matter which one: imho the vast majority of d00dz who get into sw8 fixies via the car scene end up buying what they want regardless of advice, will spend way too much on components, and will sell it in 6 months when they realise riding a bike is hard work.
Hope the OP proves me wrong.

no ones mentioned cell? cmon, best fixay ever

buy this / thread

Agreed.

Not to mention the quintessential application of ‘illest’ decal.

Why not LBS it? Why so much internet?

No judgement here is there?

I went with the Colossi Low Pro and will have braze on to tidy up the rear brake issue. The build list include:

Cinelli Mash bull horns and stem
Archetype rims an C Unit hubs
SRAM rival calipers with gold finger levers
SRAM Omnium crank set or Sugino if ebay works out.

Smaller bits and pieces will be decided later.

Whay not LBS? Range and I prefer to build myself.

This might be an option?

Dia Compe clamp-on brake set (rear) BLACK - $49.00 : Track Supermarket - NJS/Keirin track/fixed gear bikes, frames, and parts from Japan

Nice choice of frame too BTW!

Just seen it all a million times, brah.