Deus Ex Machina swap meet 15-3-09 [Syd]

i’ll be there bright and early!

should i start digging up all the random bike crap? :smiley:

should be thinking “another man’s trash is another man’s treasure” right?

im bringing nothing but cold, hard cash and a keen eye for bargains.

just to reiterate: “swap meet” does not you have to swap bits for other bits. cash is probably preferred in most transactions.

if someone has an extra lockring tool laying around you have a customer right here

maybe a silly question, but does anyone ride singles these days? i have some tubular rims i want to get rid of, but don’t know if i want to lug them down there…

so pissed off i am stuck in Brisbane this weekend with $1,000,000 worth of parts in box/hanging in garage :frowning: and the second swap meet will always be bigger & better then the first.

I am having a stall tomorrow, if anyone want a list of stuff I am selling feel free to drop me a pm with ur email. I will forward the price and details for u.

Making thing easier…

Cheers,
Dub.

Lets hope this weather clears up … its pissing down now

im out west at the mo, steamy as, but no rain yet. bloody hope its dry tomorrow. was a pain in the arse having all the rain at the last one…

So the weather was good.
How did the day go for you? Any bargains?

It was a bit uneventful for me… I bought some bar tape - $5.
Was really hoping to score some risers, but no luck. Shame I didn’t need some MTB suspension forks as there were only about 500 sets to choose from.

I saw some hipster in a ‘pleather’ jacket get ripped off buying a track frame. He paid $800 and it didn’t have a BB or headset and only an undercoat for a paint job . I hope it was colombus max and came with a blow job attachment.

Nickcee… kept an eye out for you and your Bundy but I didn’t see you. In fact I didn’t see many fixies. Was I too early?

There were so many fixies it was a little sickening. Most were brightly colored and looked like something that came out of a toy store.
As mentioned, hipsters a-plenty.

Despite the hype, the swap turned out (in my opinion at least) to be smaller than last year’s. There just seemed to be less parts/ stalls to choose from.

I picked up:

Selle Italia Octavia saddle - $3
Shimano RSX STI shifter (right hand side) - $2
Cloth bar tape - $5
Fluro bar tape - $10
Seat post - $5

A rather tidy affair I think that I am rather pleased with.

There were a pair of Mavic cranks plus 52T chain ring that I was eying off for $15, but since they didn’t have a 42T, I thought best not to get it. Was also tempted by a 51cm road frame that was up for $40 and a new Selle Italia SLR saddle for $50 but I was sensible enough not to spend more than I had ($50).

In the end, too many people looking to sell and not enough people looking to swap… admittedly I haven’t been to any other bike swaps (there doesn’t seem to be any in Sydney besides the Deus ones), but I thought that a Swap meet implies at least an equal opportunity to swap, sell and buy. Selling being a two-way thing. Is this wrong? To me it was more like a “Bike Market” rather than a “Swap Meet”, taking the names per se.

Felt kinda the same size to me compared to last year, but had quite a bit more MTB stuff. I went looking for a stem and bars and a few small parts to finish a build, couldnt find what i wanted, but walked away with a Colnago super 84’ with almost full campag group set. Looks like i got my next project. Thanks Piero!!

BTW. this ones staying geared.

^ the white one yeah? nice nice

chuck up a pic of the colnago

We got there about 9:30ish i think thanks to my friend sleeping in. Wasnt much of a rush since none of us were into buying much and didnt need the temptation.

as noted there a was bunch of brightly coloured fixed gears on arrival… and some track stuff in the stalls. mainly a nice rack of track frames on the corner and some parts next to it. didnt look at prices as i doubted that any bargains would be left, and didnt want to deal with getting a frame home (i was travelling very light).

saw a few very cute bundy frames (that kids track frame on the trainer was awesome).

was kinda hoping thered be some old jerseys or clothing or tools around but no dice (or it was gone already).

i definitely stopped and looked at the colnago… it was real nice.

in general the prices seemed higher than the abbostford one i went to last year but that could be put down to the fact that it was more of a ‘youthful venture’ than ‘old guys clearing out their sheds’.

we bailed after a couple of laps and chats to go for another swim.

The purple Bundy is nice…amazing paint job. :slight_smile:

yep the white colnago.

she’ll clean up a treat!! Heres some pics.

Ill post some after pics when its all done!!

it sure is! thanks mate.

so, i scored the purple bundy frame for the lady friend. also a freewheel for that frame and a pair of almost new shimano spd-sl shoes for cheeep.

but mostly it was a chance to hang out and talk shit, drink too much coffee and ogle a bunch of nice stuff.

funny to hear d00dz on a fixed-specific forum bitching about the number of fixies. that being said, there were a bunch of hipster n00bz buying overpriced frames and other bits and pieces. i saw that one the guy in the pleather jacket bought, didnt realise he paid $800… that guy in the corner has some nice frames and parts but wants top dollar.

and subpixel: nice work on the 'nago.

I might have embellished a bit on that one, as I didn’t hear what price he negotiated down to; I was preoccupied by the shit cup of coffee I was given by a nearby cafe (not Deus). :expressionless: Anyway, with a jacket like that it’s quite believable.

Have you got a pic of your Bundy uploaded here?

Post up the build, heavymetal…

For those who been to my stall, the frames for sales just let me know. Also I have a set of Superbe Pro Laced to Wolber 18 (tubulars) - Bladed Spokes. Excellent Condition…very reasonable priced…let me know if anyone interested.

^^^
Sorry for posting this up here, will open a for sale threads soon.

i’ll get a pic up as soon as it’s built, still need a couple of little things.