Dirt Roads Out of Adelaide

Does anyone know of any good long dirt road / fire trail routes you can take up in the hills? I see that you can now ride throughout Clealand Conservation Park but from the website the trails dont look overly long. I’ve also visitied kypo forest but found the same thing, the trails werent really long enough to act as any sort of workout.

I love a good long road ride especially up in the hills however after a couple of nasty slips in the wet last winter I figure heading on the dirt (not on my roadie) might be more enjoyable…

The Old Bullock Track goes from Waterfall Gully Road all the way to the old Freeway. You can also access it from Hayward Drive, but that is pretty steep.

Have a look on Google Maps for the Old Bullock Track and you can see the entrances / exits on Waterfall Gully Rd and the freeway. Be prepared to walk some of it if you enter from Waterfall Gully Road. I ended up walking down parts of it last week because it was so steep and gravel (heading towards Waterfall Gully Rd).

There’s also Blockers Rd and few others heading towards Lobethal.

there are some tracks up to/around Claire where thr old rail lines used to go

Thanks guys. Do you ride them often Jln?

A ride on gravel out to clare would be epic.

I’ve only done Blockers Rd once, and have done the Bullock track twice. I’m thinking of doing Waterfall Gully > Bullock > old Freeway on Sunday if I get enough time.

Sweet. Will definitely give it a go soon.

Just do some google earth exploring. Plenty of dirt roads in the hills for CX adventures. Pioneer Women’s Trail is pretty fun on a CX, coming down it a bit sketchy but.

Closer to Adelaide, a lot of the guys that race ride along the Torrens every Saturday. You can pretty much ride the entire length of the Torrens on dirt.

Yeah, I’ve done the Torrens linear path with some of those dudes. There’s all little trails along there. We did it from the near the Entertainment Centre all the way to the beach.

This is the map of the ride we did one Sunday last year:
Plenty of gravel;
Adelaide Gravel Grinders #1 in Lobethal, Australia | MapMyRide

Killer thanks man thats wicked xD

Did this die in the arse or an annual type of thing?

Hi Dave,
I had a second one planned for before christmas last year didn’t quite happen and I have since moved interstate.
I have a solid idea of the route, basically Stirling to Clarendon via Mylor over some beautiful quite roads around Mt Bold.
I’d be happy to map it and post it here or I’d be really keen for someone to get these happening what ever the route.
Adelaide sure is well placed in terms of easy access to some fast smooth gravel roads around the hills as well as some ‘epic’ gravel climbs.
Cheers.

What bike you going to ride justDave? :wink:

I’m still keen for something like this.

Therein lies the problem. I’m saving for a moto project but keep thinking a cyclocross type of bike would be a distraction. Problem is I’l just use it sporadically and then flip it cos I want a C02 producer anyway. Fuck I’m wishy washy .

I’m keen to do this once I get back from Japan in a few weeks. I missed out last year.

Roadie with 25mm or better still 28mm plus tyres is perfect for the route mapped above.
The only difficultly may be back wheel traction when you are out of the saddle, chewing the bar tape up Blockers road.
Most of this gravel is fast and smooooth.

Should get a crew together and hit it up!

Sure. I’m sure John (not) Kennedy would be keen, and a few others.

I’ll back by the 1st of June.

really Dave? do tell!

I’m in for a ride and a pint or two?

Hah, THC is on the list of non performance enhancing drugs, and off my radar nowadays. Besides, everyone knows plants take C02 and make oxygen with ya dumbo.