Dura Ace 9000

This is how I imagine their brainstorming and R&D arrived at this design. It makes sense. Would I run them? shrugs, if they were on a bike I bought I would, but a bike having these might dissuade me from buying it.

Over-rated.

They are just separating themselves from the others a bit more… Making it harder for the after market gang. Putting them in a postion of have to spend lots more to provide ‘upgrades’ and the one sypder to rule them all… Economic’s. One crank, one casting, big manufacturing savings…
My THM crank has a changeable spyder. Compact non compact and the SRM spyder. One crank many options.
THM did it because they are small and it makes their expensive product very versatile. Shimano just wana cut cost… And make it harder for people like praxis and TA to provide aftermarket parts for there cranks.
All of this ‘innovation’ will hurt SRAM more than any one as they piggy back all of the Shimano standards .

Not a lot of innovation going on just good economics

Ciclismo-Espresso.com: Michael Rogers’s bike

^fuck yeah!
Love it.

Bring on the 7900 discounts!!!

Yes and no. Have you seen how much online retailers want for the 7800 crank- it’s still around the same price it always was.

looks heaps better than the proto version would have you think

Looks pretty badass. 7400 is still the best DA crank.

this

or

i reckon 7700 is the best mix of new and old school

ja baby

I do like 7700 too. The only thing that irks me about older shimano is the shifter cables that are not hidden. Having ridden sram for a while now, I go back to my other bike with shimano and the cables act like a mental barrier that prevents me from going fast. Yes, I did say that. They are ace for resting pizza boxes on when in transit though.

Agreed! I run them on my lo-pro!

Apparently the 9000 gear uses a different freehub body width - that is, more dish.

• Joel

Wish they were bold enough to go back to just 9 gears and a 135mm width hub (less dish).

135mm is about 10 years overdue for road bikes. 10 speed with 9 speed cog spacing? acceptable. They’ll have to do it anyway when they start making roadies with disc tabs.

• Joel

I would like that too.

Disc brakes, 135mm rear hubs what will be left to separate us from the apes?

Brifters.

apes run 150mm rear hubs, so 15mm is the answer. Even XC bandits are running 142.5mm spacing. Time to get with the program. Bigger is better.

Where do you stop though? 8-speed is considered ‘classic’ right?
135mm hub would on 8/9 speed would equal a pretty beefy strong wheel.