EOI – Gong ride (Winter classic)

Can’t do 1 July either (signed up for the Ourimbah SuperFlow - woo).

15th might work though. Will have to see what else is on.

Think I can make the 15th.

Count me in.

July 15th is perfect for me.

15th works for me too.

July 15th is good for me too.

Mid-winter winter classic!

Yeow, in for bike things.

Sooo, any more ideas on this? Starting point/time? We’re pretty committed to 15th of July?

On for 15th. Seemed to have a few interested. Guess as OP I’ll chuck a plan together, but welcome feedback/suggestions.

Proposal
Time: 8am rollout
Start: Martin Place GPO [nostalgia]
Plan:

• Ride south to Loftus RNP entrance (route suggestions?)
  • Through RNP to Otford/Bald Hill
  • Follow coast road to Scarborough pub
  • Indulge in some malt-based rehydration beverages

Alt ideas:

• Could do Cronulla-Bundeena ferry. First is 8:30, then every hour. Half-hour duration http://cronullaferries.com.au/ferries-to-bundeena/.
  • Could make it a ‘dirty’ Gong ride and take on some gravel (F6 corridor, RNP fire trails, or Lady Carrington Drive)

Sounds like a plan.

Of the dirt options, Lady Carrington is pretty doable on a road bike. I went through there a few months ago fixed on 28s and it was OK, little bumpy in parts but fine really.

On the down side, it would cut out the steepest hill…

This all sounds good, a dirt bit thrown in there might be fun.
What’s the ride out from the city like these days? Haven’t done it in many years.

Also, I’ve barely ridden in the last 5 weeks due to a shitty cold. Will definitely be there and riding but don’t know how well I’ll be handling the climbs. Hopefully get a few more kms on the legs in the next few weeks.

^^^ Mr Pro Hours over here complaining about not enough riding…
(colds suck though. I just had almst two weeks off the bike from one)

Edit: ride out of the city would depend whether we take it super casual and go all back roads, or if we paceline through the airport tunnel (I’m for the former)

Yeah casual back roads sounds much more pleasant than the airport tunnel.

Pro hours was pretty good, but might have put me back a bit re: recovery. I’m now dealing with clogged sinuses and the associated facial pains. Not really fun.

I’ve been through that tunnel on a bike enough (maybe four times) to not do it again. Casual back roads sound good. So does Lady Carrington Drive. It’s all good though. Looking forward to catching up.

I would vote for keeping it limited to tarmac

Don’t be like that Dave. A bit of dirt can’t hurt your fancy bike.

who invited the nerd?

Dave has a fancy bike?

He must have if he wants no dirt.

I just don’t have any spd sandals and a big flopopy hat to truly appreciate riding off-road, so I don’t want to get half an experience that’s all

I really want SPD sandals.