Evening. A fella on a Fixed Roadie said to drop in....

Hi, my name is Steve, I have just recently had a MTB stolen and replaced under INS, so I thought I’d try single speed.

I rolled up behind a bloke out from of the Mater Hospital this morning and he said to; “Fix that back wheel, go to fixed.org.au, that’ll sort you out…”

So here I are, saying hello…

Edit - Posted pictures

That was me.

Can’t remember if you have vertical dropouts or not, but you did have a chain tensioner, so you probably do? In which case you’ll need to either get a frame with track ends/semi-horizontal dropouts, or build a wheel around an ENO hub ($$), plus you had rear discs, which would complicate things, so I’d leave that as an SS and get another frame for a road-fixie.

To get a track hub/wheel, just ask, I’m sure there are a few floating around here, otherwise you can buy them in many flavours and prices from shifterbikes/velocity/bensbikes/CTA/mr white/etc…

To post pics, host elsewhere and use {img}URL{/img}, but replace {} with or PM 853 and ask nicely and he’ll put them in the gallery.

Can you not see the pictures in the above post?
just red X’s I guess.
I did link them…

blogger.com does not allow cross site linking.

Does this work?

OK so there’s 3 problems with it.

1. It’s a Giant. 'nuff said.
  2. The bars are too high.
  3. It’s not fixed.

It’s only a matter of time now. When are you gonna fix it?

O.K.

1. If I repaint it you’ll never know(You might remember) but the unknowing will never get it.
  2. What if I flip the bars over?
  3. As soon as I can find a cheap wheel/hub to do it I will - DT Swiss have a wheel for $400… Way to much $$
  1. It’s aluminium

2. vertical dropouts (you could use a magic gear that would work until your chain wears… can’t remember the URL for the calculator though)

aww, don’t knock the giant! my first singlespeed experiments were on an old giant iguana :slight_smile:

tough to justify a whole new white industries hub/rim/rebuild though… that was what i came to the conclusion of. it seems to me it’s best to just leave the mtb as it is, and invest that 300 or 400 into an entire track bike if that’s where you want to go…

Riding a fixed mtb is very underrated.

[quote="“853"”]

Riding a fixed mtb is very underrated.[/quote]

be very afraid.

• Joel

you lot are hard to please. I’ll wait 'til i wear this setup out then maybe fix it. Not real keen on a fixed roadie!

[quote=““Blakey””]

1. It’s aluminium

2. vertical dropouts (you could use a magic gear that would work until your chain wears… can’t remember the URL for the calculator though)[/quote]

3. It only has 26" wheels. If you are going to be freaky go all the way and get a 29er!!

4. It has suspension. Harden up fella!!!

Mine has a freewheel and is aluminium but at least it does not have those itty bitty wheels.

Heaps of good info on SS conversions here.

1. It’s aluminium

2. vertical dropouts (you could use a magic gear that would work until your chain wears… can’t remember the URL for the calculator though)[/quote]

3. It only has 26" wheels. If you are going to be freaky go all the way and get a 29er!!

4. It has suspension. Harden up fella!!!

Mine has a freewheel and is aluminium but at least it does not have those itty bitty wheels.

Heaps of good info on SS conversions here.[/quote]

That looks sweeet! Where’d you get the fork? That’s one thing I want to do, ditch the fork. It’s to heavy and it sucks as far as forks go…

The fork is from Ventana too.
Mind you it is a 29er fork so no good to you on the widdle wheeled bike.
Surly make a fork for a 26er but it has curved blades.
Kona also make one.

Man this is a tough room.

Don’t worry about them mate. They just don’t like it when people won’t conform to the anti-mainstream non-conforming fixed wheel dogma. :roll: She’s a nice ride. Run what ya brung.

Can’t we all just get along ?!?! :smiley: [/quote]

[/quote]

Nope, because that’s boring

Just ignore the steel snobs, Al is fine fine fine, as are Giants (though it does need more black and I know at least one person other than me on here has suspension.

26" is much too big, 24" is where it’s at!

Spoken like someone with a penis inferiority complex :smiley:

A bike is a bike for crying out loud. I am sick to death of 29er riders rhetoric. Get out there and ride more, no mater what sort of bike you have. It is all good.

But 29ers ARE better. :stuck_out_tongue: