Ezy's Kona Sutra LTD

So after much discussion here (http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=37506) and on instagram to a lot of peoples annoyance (Sorry Blakey!) I have taken delivery of a Kona Sutra LTD.

In the end I found myself going away from the Karate Monkey as I felt it was just too ‘big’ for what I was after. The majority of riding I will be doing is commuting via fire trail, choppy singletrack and bike path. Some days it will just be bike path. I do have a few other goals with this bike, riding to the coast and doing a few other longer rides but I doubt I will be doing rides like The Hunt etc.

The other bike on my hitlist was the Endpoint Hunter Gatherer. But unfortunately due to the house renovation my spendings account is a bit low at the moment. I sold a lot of things to be able to afford this bike - I would have had to sell a lot more in order to get the Endpoint. Things that I will know I will need down the track. Anyway…

The Sutra LTD kept coming up in peoples suggestions and it wasn’t really until I read about them a bit more online that I felt that this was the right sort of bike I should be looking at. I got in touch with Morgan Taylor who had owned a few of the other bikes on my list (Straggler, Wolverine, Rove) and there was one comment that really cemented it for me. “The Sutra is definitely more of a touring bike than any of the others… it is also more of a mountain bike than any of the others”

So the next step was to wait out for the 2018 Sutra, or save some money and find a 2017 - the only upgrades the Sutra 2018 has is thru axles and flat mount brakes. Not really worth an extra $600-800 in my opinion. That could be spent on racks, bags, bits for overnighters etc.

Anyway, I will take some pics and update with thoughts once I give it a good few rides.

0 Likes

I didn’t realise it has 700x50. That’s awesome!

So when are we riding to the coast?

0 Likes

It doesn’t, those are the 2018 specs. It’s 700x45 on there at the moment - but with 650 wheels, it can fit plus sized tyres.

0 Likes

Nice pie plate

0 Likes

Why do you have to be like that?

0 Likes

Because I care.

0 Likes

nice one mate!

if those hubs can be converted and you want to ugraded, let me know ive got some DT swiss front and back thru axles and spacers i dont need.

0 Likes

Thanks Cam, priorities at this stage are to build a dyno hub - just need to decide if it will be 29 or 650.

0 Likes

No worries, and maybe get rid of that clear pie dish behind the cassette :wink:

0 Likes

Functional az. I had a minor internal debate about the Polygon bend RIV a little while back, which I guess is their aluminium version of this. This looks more capable and adaptable.

I also just realised that what I thought was the pie plate is actually the big cog.

0 Likes

Nice pie plate

0 Likes

Probs need some pedals too

0 Likes

Yup, the bike arrived just before lunch yesterday. Saddle is at the incorrect height, pie plate is still on just in case you didn’t notice, I took the reflectors off, Cables are a mess, handlebars are at a shit angle. I will be giving it a going over and the bike will be getting a few donations from my other kona until the new pedals arrive.

0 Likes

Looks great. What’s with all the hate on the pie plate? Does it have no functional use?

0 Likes

Nope.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com.au/2008/04/pie-in-sky-world-without-spoke.html

0 Likes

So it does have a functional use…?

0 Likes

Oh snap hari you got em good

0 Likes

OT: That bike looks like so much fun - i briefly owned a Salsa Vaya which looks like it has similar geo - was great fun to ride!

0 Likes

TC: I still have the pie plate on my Surly. Maybe I should remove it this weekend.

0 Likes

Pie plates are the universal indicator that you don’t know how to adjust a rear derailleur.

0 Likes