Finally...YUIITSUMUNI

Slow day at work?
umm, i have no fucking idea what you’re on about. must i spell it o u t e v e r s o s i m p l y f o r y o u ?

you are mistaking stopping safely in a given set of conditions with stopping in an emergency.

So, just to clarify, yes, if you are in an emergency situation, then you’re fucked if the only method of stopping you have is your feet on platform pedals. if however you’re just going for a cruise and you need to stop at a set of lights then there’s no issue with stopping using just your feet and platform pedals.

But, i would suggest that if you needed to stop in an emergency with just pedals with toe clips, then you’re not in an entirely great situation (IN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION!) Again, if all you need to do is come to a stop at a set of lights then there’s no problem just stopping with clip pedals.

i personally ride with toe clips and a front brake and that’s what i would recommend to anyone who rides faster than granny speed

In conclusion, what icecream said above^.

i forgot to add, wear one of these any time you’re not tucked safely in bed, just in case…

this fucking day won’t end.

I hear that…

I reckon it’s more like this, as at threshold braking all deceleration is handled by the front brake, the rear wheel is on the verge of lifting. Rear brake / fixed helps in the wet/snow/ice to avoid binning it.

[ul]
[li]1.0 front brake (dry), rear brake/fixed optional, clipless/clips optional[/li][li]0.8 front brake and rear brake (wet)[/li][li]0.7 front brake and fixed (wet)[/li][li]0.4 rear brake only[/li][li]0.3 fixed only with clips/clipless[/li][li]0.1 fixed only without clips/clipless[/li][/ul]

The last two also depend on gearing. Higher gears drop effectiveness due to leverage required.

Ohh, I get it now.

Sweeping generalisation:

Qualifications:

my first statement was never any kind of sweeping generalisation, it was full of qualifications from the start:

you can(shit, there’s 1 qualification in the first line of the ‘generalisation’) stop safely on a fixed without toe-clips.
its called controlled slowing down as opposed to dragging a gnarly 10m skid.

that said, ive got clips on my pedals (and a front brake). (shit, there’s another qualification)
but as has been noted, perhaps this bike is more designed for cruising as opposed to shredding(fuck, three strikes and im out)

jeeeeeeeeeeesus christ!
some of you guys just have the knack for making an interesting thread into a boring old preacher session
how many times do we have to argue about brakes and helmets and all that shit.
just tell the guy if you like his bike or not, don’t write a thesis on it. Especially pulling out all the stats, get back to work. I realise that the brake argument is relavent because of his pedals but come on don’t hijack the damn thing.

+1 for the cranks, i like i like

more to the point, everyone seems to have overlooked the major, inarguable crime here…

the OP seems to have named his bike.

dude, it’s not a person. or even a dog.

fixed gears are the new Tamagotchi maaaaaaan

lol it doesnt matter what ratio you run, you should still be able to skid it strapless, get your feet right and it works, just helps with straps for a quick stop. I run a 72 and i find it easy to skid strapless, not that im something special as my brothers can do the same and we have only been riding for like 3 months.
Loving it…

not sumthing I’d own, build or ride…

Bugger me, another one.

Bugger me, another one.
[/quote]

in time, natural selection will thin their numbers.

in time, natural selection will thin their numbers.
[/quote]

Just get your feet right and put your balls on the stem… you’ll be fiiiiine!