Finally...YUIITSUMUNI

Well pal, if you read my post correctly you would realise I actually run white industries cranks on my MTB, and ‘thrash em’ just like your mate and they are great cranks.

They are not designed for fixed gear/track use, if you think otherwise you are delluded, the strain put on them by fixed gear riding is a lot different than normal singlespeed riding, the strain caused by skidding and force when slowing down would never occur on an ss.

I never said the spline/lockring was a bad system, but it is a smaller area that absorbs all the force compared to a traditional 5 bolt system. I’ve ‘heard’ of chainrings bending and other problems, but its only what I have ‘heard’. Just like you ‘heard’ these were designed for fixies, that was wrong and maybe I am too.

Anyway Ill let you get back to your MAJOR concerns like if they are the right colour or not, lets deal with the big issues yer? :roll:

I didn’t realise my reply was so objective and offensive so as to draw such narcissism.

Sorry flicked your chip :expressionless:

looks great!

+1,000,000 for some toe straps. Its a sexy bike, but a death trap without straps.

and ross wonders why he cops so much shit on forums… way to go in swinging with opinions and hearsay tiger. well played sir.

I don’t wonder why at all, I wonder why you give such a shit as to follow my every word with such attention and admiration, perhaps if I’m so misguiding you’d be better spent ignoring me? Now continue discussing which ‘colourway’ would be most appropriate for this dudes bike, carry on.

hook, line, sinker.

thanks for playing.

Heavymetal bags another one…

But Ross, I think I’m going to agree with you here. Looking at the number of track hubs that get FUBR from street fixed riding (for whatever reason), a similar screw on/lock ring interface for a chainring is never going to be as good as a chainring that bolts on to an integrated spider, in terms of both rigidity and durability. (Go out and compare performance/ease of use/durability of a bolt-on-cog hub to a thread-on-cog hub before getting tragic).

the spline/lockring is a comparatively bad system

But this is clearly a bike more about looks than performance, and while it’s not to my taste, it still looks good.

I will pass judgement on this as you’ve only ‘heard’ that they perform badly on fixed gear bicycles. Performing badly in what context?

Same problem as with threaded track cog: can get some play if not properly installed, which damages the threads over time.

BUT HOW ARE YOU GOING TO STOP!?

You’re ignoring this question because you hadn’t yet considered it, amirite?

Being the only one running BMX cranks on the forum i’d like to say that the Spline system is fine to run fixed. I havent had to touch my cranks since putting together my FBM. Still very tight at the spline and it cops a mega beating regularly. I can sorta imagine how a lockring mechanism holding chainrings could fail on fixed gear though.

hmmm, you can stop safely on a fixed without toe-clips.
its called controlled slowing down as opposed to dragging a gnarly 10m skid.
that said, ive got clips on my pedals (and a front brake).
but as has been noted, perhaps this bike is more designed for cruising as opposed to shredding

I like your sweeping generalisation.

There are two things I’d like to see you do without clips (and without brakes as is the context here):

1. ‘Controlled slowing’ down a steep hill
  2. ‘Contolled slowing’ emergency stop.

You name the time and the place. I’ll bring beer. You bring ambulance.

what if he spins out?

This is discussion is becoming hilarious! :smiley:

And i like yours. i’m not recommending riding without clips, i’m just saying it can be done.
but as has been noted, perhaps this bike is more designed for cruising as opposed to shredding
i have no idea where and how this guy rides his bike. maybe he hadn’t thought about the whole toe-clip thing, maybe he had, and the way he rides his bike can be done safely without clips.

1. You won’t catch me needing to ‘controlled slowing’ down a steep hill - ive got clips on my pedals (and a front brake)

2. See number 1. i’d like to see anyone perform an emergency stop at speed without a front brake. maybe you can show me…?

You name the time and the place. I’ll bring beer. You bring ambulance.

I totally understand all the points brought up here about retention and stopping etc, however, whilst the environment in which I’m riding now is somewhat in contrast to when I used to ride fixies 20 years ago, I also do not ride like the maniac I was back then and therefore do not feel the need for clips. In saying that I actually have a front brake which will be put on in due cause.

The idea was to build this bike purely for street cruising and most parts were chosen to give me the smoothest ride possible and I feel I’ve succeeded in that area because it really is so nice to ride.

Great looking bike, don’t worry about the fashionista’s.

So, which is it?

the ability to stop safely will be relative to the speed you are traveling and the environment you are in.

braking power hierarchy and estimated factor:

[ul]
[li]1.0 front brake and fixed[/li][li]0.9 front brake and fixed no clips[/li][li]0.4 fixed only with clips[/li][li]0.2 fixed only without clips[/li][/ul]

crusing through a park, the last option may suffice… in the midst of city traffic, yeah probably not.

The bike looks great.

Ride it however you want FUSEN - next thing these softies will be telling you to run a freewheel.

…and while we are talking about not having brakes why not bring up the helmet debate.

YAWN.