First time CX bike, need help picking one.

Hi All,
It looks a lot like I’ll have funds for a new bike this week if all goes to plan and I need some advice to ensure I get the best for my budget.

It’s a bit of an odd one but I plan on buying a cross bike and later on buy a second set of basic road wheels which leads to a few questions. Firstly, I’ve never had decent roady or cross before. I don’t really have expectations of handling and geometry and I understand a cross bike won’t be perfect for road.

The budget is between $800-$1200 maybe $1500 if its a big step up, so it will be pretty basic, new or second hand is fine (as long as it’s not needing maintenance), 54cm frame.

In terms of new, I’ve had a look around but group sets in my budget are basic and there’s not much difference between them if I’m not missing something.

Boardman Bikes : CX : COMP I can get for $1000 but has Sora gears and Lyra brakes which are probably below par. Team is $1500 and is slightly better spec which I can wait for.

AvantiPlus The Valley: Circa 1

Norco Threshold A3 2015 | Cyclocross Bikes for sale in Beckenham

Specialized Tricross Elite Disc Compact 2013 | Cyclocross Bikes for sale in Woolloongabba

Focus Mares AX 2.0 20-G 2013 | Cyclocross Bikes for sale in Seventeen Mile Rocks

Second hand isn’t really bringing up much atm. I’d really prefer to get something local to have the opportunity to test and check it over. Otherwise I might broaden my horizons and get someone to check it over for me.

Am I on the right track for new? I guess I’ll post used stuff here for advice until people get bored of my questions or I find a bike.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Have you had a look at Scott’s Crux? http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/complete-bikes-7/specialized-crux-56cm-e5-alloy-33487/

Might need a shorter stem and regular seatpost if 56 is big on you.

Cell brunswicks are pretty damn good for the price and in your price range. Cell Brunswick Cyclocross Bike
They are a weapon in the right hands! My Giant TCX Advanced 1 is amazeballs but out of your limit - TCR SLR 2 is almost on the money and well spec’d with 105 shifting, FSA crankset and TRP calipers.

I don’t know heaps about this, but in looking around for a friend (who’s out of the market now), 2013ish CAADX’s with 105ish and rim brakes are worth about $750-900. My mate John who races A-grade CX reckons the Norco A3 seems to be a good deal for a decent bike, but for $1500 I’d see if you could nab a Focus. Just let me reiterate though; I don’t know a lot about these things.

Jake the Snake?

2nd yes, new not worth the $.

that crux is well worth it if it fits.

focus make a decent bike…

2nd hand market seems a bit thin right now, but 1K-1.2K got you a decent bike a few months ago.

thanks for the advice.

Scott’s crux is a little big, maybe I should try it to make sure. Heaps better spec than the other options at the moment. I do read that you generally go down a few cm in cross compared to road so might not work.

The cell seems decent but still base model group, a bit more research and I’ve learnt the $1500 area gets a spec or two up to 105 plus other bonuses. Norcos look decent and if I can extend the budget a bit the A1 would be worthwhile
http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike15-norco-threshold-a1

The snake are a bit expensive new and nothing second hand ATM. I did call about a Foucs mares AX 2.0 disc demo which is $1500. All 105, carbon fork and semi hydro brakes. Might be the pick atm.

that was the case/theory with older cx bikes, not the case anymore. same size/fit as your road bike is the standard now, and minor adjustments from there.

The alloy threshold a3 is so bloody heavy it really mor of a drop bar commuter.
It’s a full alloy fork and low spec I’d go a a2 minimum.

Been looking for something similar as I’d like to cut back on MTB this season and join antmandan and other FOA’s for some QLD CX action this year.

Cell Brunswick looked like the go to me, but didn’t realise Scott’s Crux was available and my size…

Just buy a Giant.

With everyone in BNE buying CX bikes it might be time for another gravel grinder!

Good idea, looking forward to the thread, OK thanx.

Seriously but… What if we organised a Drop off/mini bus out to Toogoolawah and rode that 150K rail trail back?!?

This

That bit of the rail trail is pretty shit on a CX bike, it’ll rattle your fillings out before you get to Esk

I was thinking of doing Walloon via Goat Track and Fernvale then train home, is about 80km but fun, I’ll make a thread

I’m keen to get in a lot of time on whatever I end up with before the season starts. Going B this year, will need to carry beer while racing to ease the pain of being dropped so badly. 150km gravel… I might need to make it an overnighter lol.

Geoff, Scott’s bike is a huge step up from what’s on the market in the $1500 range atm.

thanks again for the advice guys.

Just picked up a Focus Mares ax 1.0.
Seriously one of the nicest bikes I’ve ridden. Bought it for a catch all bike so I can consolidate, but I’m inspired to hit the CX side now. Recommend this bike.

I was super close to a Mares 2.0 but I bumped up the budget a bit for a Ridley X-Fire Ultegra, fingers crossed it’s still available when my bonus comes in this week.

Did you end up getting the Ridley?

Yep, I’ve taken it out a few times and I’m super pleased. Also, I learnt to go a size or two down with the ridley cross bikes, I normally ride a 54, this one is a 50.