FoA meet 9/7/12 [Melbourne]

i don’t see the insert image, url etc butons anymore

I see them, but the site crashes Opera so often now I don’t get to use them.

i see them and they work fine for me IE9 or some shit

They’re not there on my iPad or iPhone, which are my primary internetting tools.

There’s your problem.

You shut up!

But seriously, my work Internet is so restricted, all I have is my phone.

As for my iPad. I’m a hipster.

At least you can use your phone. Overdoing Instagram chewed up all my phone downloads, so I’m fucked until the month rolls over.

ok, so i’ve finally gotten around to doing this, and there’s only a few things that are different to what blakey posted way back when (but my minutes leave a lot to be desired)…

Firstly, whoever wrote “ROLAND SUX!” on my notebook, you’re a douchebag.

The main reason for the meeting was to figure out the best way to keep the forum running at no cost, or ideally, at a small profit that would allow us to organise and fund a few events in each state, as well as help to pay someone to manage these events etc.

ways in which to raise $ were:

• skimlinks (while this has been a handy little way to bring in some money, it’s by no means going to fund FOA. real idea of the kind of $$ it brings in will be a few months away)
  • paid memberships
  • paid events with partial proceeds to FOA

PAID MEMBERSHIPS (this was the main discussion point, leading into discussion of which events we could organise to add value to memberships)

initially we were going to tier this and restrict access to certain sections of FOA, but we have had a rethink about this after chatting with blakey the following week (sorry xbbx/mckenny/nexus/hmc). we feel that by making users pay for trading access etc we will force many members to simply sell through other websites.

we are now, in effect, making an appeal for users to help support FOA with an annual membership that will be implemented as soon as nickj irons out the small details of automated user permissions etc. i have drafted a thread for nickj to edit and post when he is ready to do so, effectively giving people 4 weeks to become paid members. membership will be $25 per year which is not much considering those selling a ~$300 frame on ebay would cost the same in seller fees.

we may lose members this way, but obviously we hope that the majority of users can see the value of keeping FOA alive on a social/community level and are able to see its benefits. this is a bit of an experiment after all, we can only try to keep things the same initially and appeal to people’s interests on FOA.

new/improved features will include:
Access to pre-sale tickets to events organised by FOA and others (don’t think i asked blakey about ddcx events etc, but maybe an option? blakey?)
Discounts on FOA merch (we’re trying to organise a cap order soon)
increase PM’s to 2000
allowing users to edit their privacy settings for their profile
create/join/manage groups
FOA stickers for paid members
FOA badge for paid members
custom title stating they are a paid member

i suppose, aside from the ticket pre-sale and discount on merch, all of the above is already available on FOA for free. but people don’t realise it’s costing nickj real money, so this is hopefully a way they can identify the value of being a paid member. that and smugness when at the pub.

EVENTS

1 - unfortunately the roller racing isn’t happening to coincide with the tour (obviously) or the olympic road race (only showing on foxtel we believe).
BUT, we are speaking to Jay and Dave at Shadow Electric (these are the guys that helped set up domestique TdF bar) about doing a sweet collabo with FOA and running a roller event at a venue TBC (hopefully The Abbotsford Convent on their sweet outdoor movie screen). We discussed running it in conjunction with SBS showing the Vuelta, but we need to know the schedule for the stages they plan on showing. the other thing to consider is when it will be screened (last year coverage started at 11.30pm). They have a partnership with Moritz beer, who would likely be keen as they’re spanish.

2 - Hill climb timed event. NOT A RACE. initially to be run for Halloween, but have realised this will only be 6 days before our next proposed event (Melbourne Cup Day ride) so we may need to reschedule that one, unless people think the timing won’t make any difference to the event. Details will need to be worked out, but it’d be similar to Ryan’s Yarra Blvd TT from a coupla years ago. It’d be cool if there was a hill in each city that was similar in length and we could have a FOA Wide timed event with a times board listed on the FOA front page/blog. no idea how likely it would be to find a hill in each city that would be comparable to everywhere else, but it’s a thought.

3 - Melbourne Cup Day ride. Obviously this is Melbourne only, but we were wanting to build on the already popular MCD ride and get a crew to hit up the Warby Trail again. Last year was great, and from what i’ve heard, so was 2010. Potential to expand the ride to different routes each year, but maybe keep it the Warby Trail for this year and see how we go. This one wouldn’t be a paid event as it’s public roads and just a general good time with mates.

4 - Melbourne Summer Show n Shine - i only just thought of doing this, so maybe we discuss it in the other thread, but i think it’d be great.

So that’s the main outcomes from the meeting (if i’m missing anything guys, let me know). We’re aware it’s all Melbourne centric, but we’d like that to be different if people from other states are willing to take the reins and use the FOA platform to organise similar events. Be cool if JLN/gypsy/heavymetal wanted to organise a similar night to event 1 in their respective cities.

tl:dr (be good if you read it though)
we’re gonna start charging an annual membership fee, on a voluntary basis for the moment.
nickj will post the changes once he’s happy with how the automated system works and we have stickers/badges etc organised.
we’re going to run events in the coming months in the hope we can build them into annual events on the calendar for people to look forward to. be rad if people in other states

i don’t remember doing it. but i prob did this.

what about ‘trading access’, with wristies?

good work…

i think the show’n’shine has a lot of potential as a revenue raiser, especially if it gets promoted well.

as for the cup day ride, let’s keep it as warby trail. its been a good day out each year ive gone.

soooooo I’m thinking this thread - http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f17/cycles-galleria-24209/#post439423 - is the first to receive the silent mod lock.

fuckin powder keg.

Yeah, I’m probably not helping with my Simpsons clips.

ppl like titanium & dice are the reasons it’s turned to shit.

click

titanium pm’d me. i couldn’t be bothered reading it now.

i’m a bit sick of his hating on everything that doesn’t involve him hocking his wares.

lock it.

also, show n shine is a good idea.

after reading all his stuff about starting his own store he is totally setting himself up for several in-depth online reviews of his store if/when it opens with his frequent commentary on the efforts of others.

totally, i think ol mate titanium will need to be very very nice to all new customers and provide exceptional service.

i’m not sure he has the people skills to deal with any criticism that may get thrown his way on FOA…

Dude is an a-grade shithead. Wasn’t there discussion of permabanning said shithead? Why hasn’t this been done?

I was for it. He’s a dick. Just do it.