Forum only for fixed gear? I brought my first single speed.

Hi there,

Just got my first single gear bike, second hand. What are the thoughts and feelings towards those that free-wheel around here?

Details are light as I’m not as into all this bit as the community appears to be here but I do know.

2011 Cinelli Vigorelli
Black Aerospokes F/R
Some kind of drop bars at the front (if I’m even saying that right)

Other bike is a Cinelli CX style something or other. Not a bike nerd by any stretch and only started cycling again (from my teenage BMX days) this year as mode of transport more than anything else.

j

in before smartasses - welcome. don’t worry about running singlespeed. there’s lots of bike knowledge here, and very little of it is fixed-specific. post up some pics, don’t get pissy when everyone tells you you’re doing it wrong, learn heaps. check out the cities sections, go on rides, meet folks IRL. no one cares what you’re riding, so long as you’re riding.

Double aerospokes, be prepared.

Ha!

Don’t listen to this guy. This forum is fixed gear only.

Vigorelli = fixed or GTFO!

Ah yes. The slagging has begun. Which is something I noticed while I was lurking.

Plenty of freewheels here. Too many maybe.
But in seriousness, try fixed if you haven’t before.
Welcome :slight_smile:

this forum is specifically for bagging fixie bikes. fyi

Hey - so whats everyone up to this weekend?

Right on! Welcome to FOA.

Sounds like you’ve got two nice bikes. Your CX is probably more at home here than the SS these days.

Drop bars sounds like a good term to me, for the type of bars you see on the bikes in the tour de france.

I have two intro questions.

You ride the bikes for transport, do you have a rack for either? Or do you use a backpack or something similar? Discussing racks, mudguards and tires is a favourite passtime of lots of people here.

Also, do ride your CX off road?

JP

Gonna put on a sweet flat brim cap and do an alleycat. Might do some skidzz.

I’m cutting down my skinny, black jeans then practicing backwards circles and elephant trunk skidz.

Cheers thanks for the welcome.

No racks, just a backpack or messenger bag. CX hasn’t gone off road unless you count one of the first and last Triathlon transitions I did. Didn’t know is was a CX setup until I’d got it. shows complete lack of care for bike setup

Pic to follow.

!

I’m reshellacing the tape on my Rando that I ride the 2.3km to and from my favourite cheese shop on, sanding down the non-centreline rubber on my hertres to make them more supple and machining a 1.683mm shim for my chainstay fender mount to get the lines right.

?!

nah, those are bullhorn bars.

Simglespeeds with only one brake make me nervous…

With extra aero on one side