From Adelaide to Sydney... (work and accommodation advice?)

Need a roomy?!

I lived just down behind the strip for a year and a half. It has a weird country town feeling to it (similar to the main street of Marrickville, maybe it has something to do with flags?), though to be honest you end up going to Marrickville or Newtown for everything, as the shops/restaurants along the main strip aren’t very useful (the Rose, Hive and the Erko are good pubs though).

Always think of this when I read/ hear of Ersknville.

Unfortunately my ladyfriend wants the spare room for underwear dancing to bad music, and singing into hairbrushes, away from my judgemental comments.

But with rental prices like these we may need one eventually!

I promise I won’t judge! I’ll fill it with K-pop posters, girls love that stuff, right?
Holla at me if you ever do, though!

I actually like that film. Except for the faux-australiana blues guitar that persists throughout the entire fucking movie.

Chinny sharing your bed and the GF on the couch?

Awe yeah.

I live with my mum and dad. Now that’s a cool story.

Wow! Okay I should’ve skipped on work today, I missed out on the ‘first-hand experience’ of this thread.

Right now I’m paying $100 a week and living with my Mum, I’ve spent years away from home but came back to save cash (didn’t quite work out). I’m an easy 20k’s out of town and commute 30mins to work.

If I can get a place anywhere near Newtown, Stanmore, Enmore then I’ll be over the moon. I spent a month in Stanmore with a friend and fell in love, sans wristies. I spoke to a different friend and my brother today and we’re all going for a place. If I’m paying $150 to live in the loungeroom with a chinese style wall with them to then so be it, as long as I’m in Sydney!

I’m going nowhere with this post.

I’m I between flatmates so it worked out pretty gOod
They are staying for a few more weeks

We should have dinner again soon.

Fools be hatin’. The best place to live in Sydney is probably in Brisbane. Move somewhere and learn to deal with it, it’s all much of a muchness at the end of the day. If you’re moving here expecting those fixie gears, you might be disappointed.

Exactly true. Moved to Sydney for love, hated Sydney for a long time. But now I dig it, and can’t even contemplate living in Brisbane again.

Facing the prospect of this at the end of next year, a few gulf tours between now and then might mean its a real chance to buy a house. Not as psyched on moving back there as I thought I would be, but hopefully there’s an indoor track by that stage to soften the blow.

Might join you in a few years.

Same, once I graduate, might chase some engineering job prospects tied up with digging big holes in the ground.

So I found a place advertised on Gumtree for $155 (bills covered) a week in St. Peters. The place looks fine, one bedroom with a bed, desk and cupboard…

But now the guy has just sent this, mind the lead in-

Hi Lucas,

What you have told me are very impressive, I will contact your reference tomorrow to have a quick chat, and let you know.

Please find attached the photos for the room.

Cheers

Martin

Hey Martin,

The place looks exactly to be as what you mention and pretty much what I need.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks, Lucas.

Hi Lucas,

I forgot one thing: provided that your reference check is sucessful tomorrow, can you pay me two weeks rents as holding deposit? since few other people are interested at the moment.

Cheers

Martin

I’ve checked out photos and spoken with the (asian) landlord on the phone, the other housemates are a Japanese guy and a Burmese girl :wink: He wants three weeks rent as deposit and two weeks rent in advance. He was alright on the phone and hasn’t been any bit funny up to this point, opinions.

Also if someone wants to do me a favour and check out the guy and the place then I’d definitely share a sixpack with them.

Just make sure you’re not sharing the room.

I know I’m definitely not sharing the room, it’s a granny flat out the back of the house.