Gearing q&a

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=1799

Pair with a 11spd 105 group. Sell the surplus cranks and its a banger.

Edit: you will need eleven speed compatible hubs which I doubt the AWOL came with stock unfortunately.

Geoff, take all reports and opinions with a grain of salt, there is so much misinformation out there, whether by idiocy or naivety.

11sp shimano MTB cassettes fit on a 10sp (aka 8-10sp) freehub, as the pizza sprockets are dished over the hub flange.

11sp shimano/sram road cassettes need a longer freehub.

shimano/campy/sram 11sp cassettes are identical in centre to centre spacing as far as practical use goes. And I’m pretty confident that shimano 11sp mtb is also the same c-c, and probably sram 11sp mtb, but don’t quote me.

Once you know the linear cable pulled, the leverage ratio of the mech, the centre - centre spacing of the cassette you can calculate your own combinations and see very quickly if it will or won’t work.

on that “groupset” thing, if I can find something in australia that a distro can sell me, and also deliver within a month, I was thinking 11sp 6800 bar ends, mechs, 6800 11-32, and then cranks are flexible, but leaning towards 6800 compacts, purely for the fact I know shifting will be good, alternatively WI or something ultra trendy, thats kind of groupsetty if that floats your boat?

that’d be pretty sweet with the WI cranks or some sugino’s.

but why barends instead of shakes? getting those hydro tektros?

already have some BB7 SLs, and I got all frothy on the tektro drillium levers with the gum hoods, plus handle bar bag clearance, I don’t have a bag, but I probably will soon enough

also cartons of beer are wider than a bag, which will definitely end up on the bike at some point/s.

both excellent reasons

run what you brung and beer

and I can’t do Heineken keg laiden skids yet

Joey @ Planet Cycles put me onto this today, have you been talking to him about this Scotty?

So you can use Shimano 11 Speed Brifters (RS-685’s in my case), run Ultegra 6800 medium cage mechs front and rear and an XT 11-40 cassette to get more range. I think the only drawback is the 14 tooth difference between the front chainrings as you end up with a lot of gears with Gear Inches close to or equivalent between the two. If that’s an issue and SRAM 11spd 11-36 cassette can be run with whatever front rings you want without any issues.

I’m setting up a touring bike like this, with an 11-32 8sp cassette and 36/24 rings for 19.5-85 GI. The frame I’m putting it all on takes a top pull mech so I’m wondering, should I try a triple mech and hope I can get it low enough to work well with the 36t and not hit the chainstay, or try a 2x front mech like a FD-M615 (which is 10sd)

Cheers

Sometimes you’ve gotta just suck it and see. Could leave the outer ring on or fit a chain guard and run the triple. I’ve had luck with Suntour FDs with this setup.

You should be OK with the 10sp 2x. I’m running something similar with 8 sp 11-34 and 10 sp 38/22 with 10 sp chain and the 10 sp 2x SLX front mech i’m using works perfectly fine. Also on a top pull frame

edit: But try the triple mech if that’s what you already have

Thanks for the comments, I haven’t got either so will find a cheap 3x and see how it goes.

Cheers, Scott