Gears and Beers - Wagga

230km via Picadilly Circus
260km via Wee Jasper.

They’re both huge days but not unfeasible.

Yep. Need also to add the 130km of the event, plus the return to Canberra. Grabbing a lift back would be good.

I’d be up for 2 days to ride there, and get a lift back.

You have done both haven’t you Adam? What would you recommend, I would be riding on cheese cutters.

I’ve penciled it in as well! Good to see a bit of the CBR crew going :slight_smile:

I’ve done both ways. The ‘Wee Jasper way’ goes through Tumut anyway, not as hard but longer and possibly nicer than going through Brindies. Ride to WJ can be shortened too by going through Doctors Flat rd.

I had actually planned a ride that went up to Cootamundra but once I hit Tumut I felt it was enough. Once in Tumut, my plan was to go through Gocup > Gundagai to be on a quieter road. I reckon this is still a good option, then go through Wantabadgery after leaving Gundagai.

By ‘cheese cutters’ you mean skinny tires? I did it on 32s and I wish I had fatter tires. There’s about 60-70ks of gravel just to Tumut, and that’s both ways. The gravel through Brindies is rough.

Also, I’ll avoid the Hume if I decide to do it.

Doctor’s Flat Rd is shorter and nicer scenery, but not easier. It’s super hilly.

So many options.

Agree on avoiding Hume Hwy. My routes went slightly south of Gundagai, through Tumbalong then Wantabadgery

Riding the roadie with 25s. 28s might fit, maybe. Is the Wee Jasper route sealed the whole way?

Canberra to Wee Jasper is paved 99% of the way. The 2-3km of Fairlight Rd, near Uriarra is gravel but we’ve ridden it with 23/25s often without issue.

Hmm… I want in, will check calendar

Ha, like that time I bombed it at about 40+ and couldn’t stop…yew.

@Tamas: Gravel starts about 4-5 ks after Wee Jasper (apart from the few ks of Fairlight road). About 50ks with a long climb out.

Tumut-Canberra via Wee Jasper

do live here - will be riding. highly encouraged.

Timely post, thanks Tmasz.

I’m doing it too, and will ride from Canberra. Plan is to go across the Brindies to Tumut on the Friday (sleep in Tumut), then ride to Wagga on the Saturday via a mix of gravel and quiet back roads through Gundagai. Sleep in Wagga on Sat, do the ride on Sunday then back to Canberra (getting a lift with the family). Would love some company.

This sounds pretty doable, if I can find a way on Sunday. Is anybody else going from CBR with room for 1?

Don’t have room for you mate, unfortunately. But it’d be good to see you!

Thanks, all good, I will drive up on Saturday. Let me know if you need me to take anything along for you

Can’t think of anything right now but thanks. Meeting for beers in Wagga on Sat night though!

Done!

Sorry, Tamas. Also no room in our car.

Seb, a guy from Wagga told me one of the river crossings near Wantabadgery (such a good name) is flooded and closed (it may be open by next week), but recommended this route from Tumut

https://goo.gl/maps/w9HxkyravnB2

Yep I saw that on your IG. I reckon we can decide on the day, this is over a week away and if the area doesn’t get any more rain in the week to come we should be fine. Taking a paper map with me.