Goin Tubular

Are you claiming that the emperor has no clothes?

pretty much

While we’re at it, I think Radiohead are totally overrated.

ride a track bike in traffic with no brakes

ps i saw thom yorke try and dj once. wtf, you can compose and play fairly complicated music while singing but you cannot count to 4 and beatmatch terrible house music? very disappointed.

I once saw Thom Yorke eating a muffin in a food court while reading the form guide. True story.

Two reasons

They are laced to Mavic GL330 tubular rims.

Picked them up as part of a C-Record Group set. So I thought, why not give is a go.

Mixed Berry?

It looked like blueberry, but I didn’t stop to ask. No interest in talking to that guy.

Good call. It was Blueberry by a nose, Talking To That Guy is still coming.

For a second I thought you were making references to Radiohead songs that as a non-fan I was never going to get.

A life lived in fear is a life half lived, Horatio.

Have at try on mine Jono, we get to Syd March 9

Hmmm not really… Use heavy butyl tubes and the difference is night and day.
Velo clinchers are my choice of clincher but no clinchers match the ride quality of high end handled tubbies

I come from an era when the only good tyres were tubular (singles).

Nothing is as sweet as a nice set of tubular wheels with top quality tubular tyres. Everyone should at least once try them.

In saying that clincher tyres have come along ginormously. To the point where tubulars are almost not worth considering unless you’re pro/sponsored, curious to try something different or understand that carbon clinchers are not quite there yet in terms of function/design.

I still don’t rate any sealants for use with tubular tyres. Run them as they are and carry a spare or some $'s for a cab ride home. If you can’t afford top quality tyres or are worried about flatting then I’d suggest you run clinchers as otherwise it’s like buying a Ferrari and keeping it under 2500rpm because you’re trying to keep the gas mileage reasonable.

Life’s too short to piss about … people overthink this tubular issue too much. It’s not that tricky, it will probably cost you more to run and it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. Most people try low or average quality tubular tyres and expect miracles … that’s an even bigger waste of money imo. No pun intended but clincher tyres will always offer better bang for buck. But, if you can afford the nicest go ahead and get your kicks from the purest and most traditional racing tyres that are available.

Hehe +1

Very true, I ride and if i flat i hate it, i just want to ride and quickly bang a tube in and keep going.

To run veloflex or similar tyres up here as non race is crazy, to run anything else is a waste.

So the do it all is clinchers.
They are nice hubs so it might be worth re lacing them to some thing new in clincher one day.
Id say go tb14 but if youre running delta’s im not sure how they would work on a wider rim?

Either way tubs wil be nice and get you riding for now.

Three good quality tubular tyres (one spare) and a tube of glue will be cheaper than a pair of new clincher rims, spokes (yes, more than likely you’re need different length spokes), labour to build the two wheels, two clincher tyres and two tubes.

For most people in this bike game thing it’s cheaper to roll with what you got/is already there, especially with the older stuff as reality does not always equal our romantic intentions. Ask me how I know :wink:

I second carrying the Stan’s in a 50ml bottle and using it when you have to. Sealant is not ideal but it can get you home 9 outa 10 times.

I like your thinking Spirito sound words from the beardo king!

curious, can you crank CO2 into a tubular you just put sealant in after getting a puncture? or will that bugger it up?