Gypsy & LAM's epic adventure

50 riders will be doing Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne at the beginning of December. 1200 km in under 90 hours, only a couple will be on fixed though.

Still keen to get this off the ground. I may have to use my annual leave working at TourDownUnder yet so we’ll see what happens.

You’ll get to hang out with the Adelaide hipsters!

i’ve got a project on in jan that I won’t really be able to miss two weeks of. how are the first two weeks of feb for you?

Sounds good, could even push it back further if you want. It really depends if I’ll have enough AL after doing TDU. Should be right now if I don’t use much between now and then.

We’ll talk.

Still keen for this.

I’d be dead keen for this also, but will be using some leave for the TDU aswell. So yep sometime Feb-March ish would be the go.

Ok, just an update. I’m 85% sure this will go ahead. I am waiting for Crankys to get back to me with an exact date they’ll be in Sydney so we can meet up for alleycats etc. End of Feb is looking likely.

My rough plan is to spend one to two days in Sydney. I’m happy to have Brissy guys along until Sydney (or further) and if any of the Crankys wanted to ride back to Melbs that’d probably be sweet to.

I also want to thank Scoota for showing me the joy of suffering day to day riding long distances on stupid bikes.

Anyway, expressions of interest now being taken.

hells yeah! stupid keen. maybe not for the brissy to melbs, but definitely sydney to melbourne.

I am keen for this. It’ll be pending what is going on in February though. I am keen as to go Brisbane > Sydney. Then re-evaluate once in Sydney wether to continue on.

Ok, this is roughly what I’m thinking:

Feb
13th - Arrive Brisbane
14th - Bris to Ballina (Sunday) 192kms
15th - Ballina to Coffs Harbour 207kms
16th - Coffs Harbour to Port Macquarie 163kms
17th - Port Macquarie to Bulahdelah 149kms
18th - Bulahdelah to Sydney 235kms
19th - Sydney
20th - Sydney (Alleycat with the Cranky Sundays guys from Melbs)
21st - Sydney to Nowra 178kms
22nd - Nowra to Moruya 145kms
23rd - Moruya to Eden 179kms
24th - Eden to Orbost 185kms
25th - Orbost to Traralgon 209kms
26th - Traralgon to Melbourne 165kms

Total = 2007kms approx

We might push it back a day if we stop in Byron for an extra night because I’ve been there.

I am retarded for tears Im keen on the syd to melb!!

Harden up and do the whole thing.

Nothing like the smell of rotting kangaroos.

I am pretty much refusing that idea right now.

The Brisbane to Sydney bit will probs need a bit of fine tuning from Gypo and the Brissy boys.

Happy to have guys just do the first day too.

Dead keen for this. I will bug out at Sydney simply because I won’t have enough leave to spend another week in the saddle (spending it all in Japan over Christmas :-D). Route looks pretty good. There’s going to be a couple of long days there at the moment though but there isn’t two in a row which is good, and the last leg into Sydney will be met with beers and a sleep in so that is fine! I will have a chat to the others and we can figure out if there are any better ways to do it. I figure the first day to Byron we could have some company from the rest of the Brisbane crew, at least until Nerang.

This looks to be fantastic training for the Ipswich 100 mile in March. I might decide to shell out for an Assos bib as well to make it a slightly comfier experience! The average speed that I’d like to try to sit on is around 30km/h, is that what you had in mind Heatseaker? That said I’m happy to be dropped and make it there in my own time.

I’d say all of us would be lucky to get anywhere near 30km/h av. Slow and steady wins this race that’s for sure.

yeah, no point in wearing yourself out in the first couple of days. riding 5kms slower and taking an hour or two longer is a worthwhile tradeoff.
the stopover in sydney looks good, plenty of time to do some riding around.
is the plan to do it fixed/singlespeed? what advice re: gearing/brakes, bike gear etc?

I did it with a 48 x 18 (with a 16 on the other side I never used). Seemed to be a good gear. I’ll try and do it fixed but am not fussed either way.

Take as LITTLE as possible. Those small Camelbak backpacks are good.

This is what I’ll take:

Carrying -

1 x rain jacket
1 x arm warmers
1 x knee warmers
1x tee
1 x shorts (light)
1 x thongs or canvas slipons
2 x socks
1 x toothbrush (cut 1/2)
1 x ATM card
1 x iPod and charger
1 x mobile phone and charger
Spares assorted

Wearing -
1 x bib knicks (Capo)
1 x jersey (Capo)
1 x socks (Capo)
1 x Sidis (old)

If i’m in country i’ll be down for the first day. Should be a nice ride.